New Weber Carb Failed Emissions

I just intalled a new weber conversion kit on my 88 Wrangler (6 cyl). According to my mechanic, during the emissions part of my NY inspection, the numbers were perfect at an idle but as soon as it was put on the dyno, the o2 was high and the emissions failed. I have tried this 3 times and it has failed. I did put new plugs, wires, o2 sensor, cap & rotor in with the new carb. It seems to be running fine but I can't drive it until it passes emissions. Any ideas?

Thank you

Mike

Reply to
mjank40

Did you disable the computer controls when you swapped carbs or did you put in an electronic carb? Most folks go with a normal Weber when they replace the Weber-Carter BBD that was in there.

If not, the computer has now gone into 'limp home' mode which clamps down on the timing and basically shuts off all the anti pollution controls. The O2 sensor only works on/with an electronic carb.

When you disable the computer and manually set up the mix and timing, you can get good numbers for emissions. I still have the BBD, but manually set for mix and timing with no computer and no cat because my CJ7 doesn't require the cat here in Canada and I still passed emissions with nice numbers.

Mike

Mike Romain

Weber also gives instructions on tuning the carb with a 4-gas analyzer; probably the only way to do it if you need to meet emissions.

Reply to
Stephen H