Nifty.

I bought a couple of nifty devices today at a pawn shop.One of them is an old Tire Gauge.It says on the tire gauge,,, SCHRADER REG.U.S.PAT.OFF Service Tire Gauge MANUFACTURED BY SCHRADER'S SON DIVISION OF SCOVILL MFG.CO, INC BROOKLYN N.Y.U.S.A. PAT.NOS.1,716,399 - 1,742,740

1,866,140 - 1,892,088 - 1,894,648 U.S. - PROPERTY - Q.M.C.

I think my ex Quarter Master Corps Tire Gauge is pretty old.Perhaps World War Two era, or not much newer than that.

The other device I bought at the pawn shop today is an EXTECH INSTRUMENTS IR Thermoneter.

It is a hand held infrared/laser light thermometer.I think I once read somewhere before those kinds of thermometers are usuful for doing engine repair/diagnostics/whatever.

I am Proud of my two pawn shop treasures. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If the tire gauge has a brass scale, instead of a plastic one, it's probably the best tire gauge you own. I worked in automotive service, several careers ago, when a Scrader stick was the industry standard. When they changed to plastic internals, accuracy went to shit. Non-conatct thermometers can be useful, but they can also be deceiving. WHERE you point to measure, makes a BIG difference. They generally measure the temperature of the outside surface of whatever they're pointing at. If you try to measure something like coolant temperature, say, inside a thermostat housing, accuracy isn't so good.

Reply to
the fly

There isn't anything at all plastic of the tire gauge I bought at the pawn shop yesterday.I checked it for accuracy this morning against my other newer tire gauges.The old tire gauge seems to me to still be just as accurate as the day it was manufactured. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin