Nissan Altima electrical problem

I suspect I have a bad alternator on my '96 Altima (I had to replace the alternator on it around 50K miles, and it now has 110K on it), but I would like someone with some expertise to confirm this. I was idling at a red light on Saturday when my car just stopped. No warning at all; it was like someone hit the off switch. I tried to restart and got nothing. The engine didn't turn over at all and none of the electrical equipment worked. I was able to jump start it successfully and drive it home, but the battery did need to be replaced.

The car starts fine now, but I'm concerned that won't last, and it still doesn't explain why the car just quit. Am I correct in assuming the alternator is at fault, or could it be something else?

Reply to
Angelic Devil

if you have a free test place like kragen,autozone in your area have them check it out for you ? for free

Reply to
tudysmuck

well, when your charging system isnt working, the car will stop just like that when the battery runs down to nothing. You can run on just battery for a good while in the daytime, so I'd figure your charging system bit it within a couple days of the stall.

You should have your battery and charging system checked periodically if your in doubt.

Reply to
ed