Nissan Altima shaking at idle

There is this Nissan Altima GXE 2000 (mileage 61000, automatic) I am considering to buy. The problem is, while idle, (like at the redlights or stopsigns) it shakes, but as soon as you press the gas pedal, shaking disappears. What do you think might be wrong? and how much it costs to fix? one mechanic told me that its normal in 4-cylinder cars! but the shaking seems too much to be normal. anything else you suggest me to check before buying?

I also noticed some oil leakage along the cylinder ridges.

Reply to
arashdb

I don't know anything specific but I have heard that many of these cars have extremely complicated and expensive motor mounts. One guy I know spent nearly $1000 having the motor mounts on his Nissan Maxima replaced.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Four cylinder cars are more susceptible to rough idle than cars with engines of more cylinders. That is a fact.

Notwithstanding this, a four cylinder car can idle quite smoothely if the motor mounts are good, and if the engine is getting equal power out of each cylinder.

I would go very carefully on this... Be sure that the car is right before you buy. A miss on one cylinder can cause a shaky idle, but may smooth out a bit at speed.

A miss can be as simple as a bad spark plug or wire, but it can get to be much more complicated and costly too...like a cracked head or blown gasket, burned valves, etc.

Reply to
<HLS

I know exactly what the problem is as i have the same problem, its a leaking intake manifold gasket...

see link >>

and you will notice many other people have the same problem!

damn nissan!

and I cant find a guide on how to replace it myself, repair runs around

500 dollars US!

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
rthompson207

There is a host of reasons that will make that engine shake at idle. Vacuum leaks, bad injectors, air leaks (intake manifold gasket would be an instance of that), weak coil, bad gas, old spark plugs, egr, IACV clogged, etc. It might be a cheap problem, or it might be something expensive. If you can get it professionally diagnosed before you buy it, it might be OK.

Reply to
E Meyer

Wow! $500? There is a Nissan factory near me.They build Nissan cars and pickup trucks and vans and suvs.Maybe I should phone them or email them about that gasket problem.I know what I will do,JT and Dave have their politics radio talk show Mondays through Fridays and at least twice each week they have their car talk show,people all over the state phone in about their vehicle problems.I will phone them about Nissan. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin