Nissan XTERRA ENGINE OIL was not changed for 8k miles /18 month

The last oil change was at 8k mileage 18 month ago, currently the car has 16K miles on, the engine still runs but how much damage has already been made to this poor engine? If change the oil right now, how long can the engine last? Professional comments and sugesstions need!!

Reply to
pangpangtu

suggestion: Change the oil ASAP.

Reply to
Bill 2

Change the oil and drive it. "Damage" depends on what kind of miles (short trip or highway). I'd expect there is no measurable "damage". I had a 1980 ponitac with a 4 cylinder that I changed the oil by the owners manual which said 7500 miles. I didn't always change it that frequently and dove the car

143K miles before wrecking it. Ran great and added 0 oil between changes when I got rid of it.

Today's motors are much better. Some new vehicles have some kind of algorighm or sensor that tells you when to change the oil and I've heard it car run 15K miles (only read this though...can't believe everything you read)..

Reply to
bobby

Thats bad, but not the end of the world... I would just change the oil now and not worry about it. The engine will probably have a long and healthy life if you keep up with the oil changes in the future.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

No big deal. The recommended change interval is 7500 miles anyway. I know, we're all brainwashed into the 3000 mile change thing, but the reality of it is that modern engines and oils can easily take 8K miles with no damage at all. If you don't believe this, have the oil analyzed. I'll bet it comes back fine. That being said, by all means change it now and maybe every 5K miles after (unless you're towing or doing a lot of city driving).

God I hope this doesn't start ANOTHER endless oil thread...

Reply to
Jim

It's probably fine. A little late on the oil change (manufacturers and models vary, but generally 6-7Kmiles give or take). It's nothing worth worrying over. Just change the oil and stick with whatever the owners manual says from here on out.

Reply to
Brent P

Look here:

Even though you may not be using synthetic, 8k is not much assuming you kept it topped up.

Reply to
Larry

As others have said, you probably did not significant damage.

Change the oil & filter immediately if you haven't already done so. Then, change it again in 2,000 miles to get rid of the super-dirty oil left behind (no oil change gets rid of 100% of the used oil) and then go back to a more moderate schedule of 4,000-5,000 miles between drains.

--- Bror Jace

Reply to
Bror Jace

So it has 8k miles on the oil? Big deal. I have been running 7 k miles normally between changes (and 10k a couple of times inadvertently... don't tell anyone) on two of my cars- one has 207,000 miles and the other over 430,000 miles, 240,000 of which are since an overhaul. That's with Mobil 1, but a single extended drain on a conventional oil (provided it isn't absolute junk oil or a junk engine design) shouldn't do any damage at all. Change the oil and filter, and forget about it... but don't forget to change the oil regularly in the future, and consider using an oil that has done well in extended service testing- read bobistheoilguy.com for more info.

Reply to
Steve

My brother-in-law ran a '90 Toyota for 100,000 miles without changing the oil. It ran for another 300,000 after that with spotty but somewhat more frequent oil changes and never had an oil related problem. I would not worry about going 8k unless you bought it from my brother-in-law.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Should be okay unless used in *very* hot, dusty or other severe condtitions or repeated very short distance, cold weather driving. Change it now and again in 3k max. You may have built up a little extra sludge/varish on the internal surfaces, but it shouldn't be fatal, and the dtergents in the oil will remove anything loose. Just stick to a shorter interval ( The last oil change was at 8k mileage 18 month ago, currently the car

Reply to
The Masked Marvel