Nitrile Gloves

I'm looking for "really good quality" nitrile mechanics gloves... Thicker than normal latex gloves, resist brake fluid/oil, non-powdered, have textured finger tip grips, and are long enough to extend down the wrist.

Anyone know which brand/where I can find something like this. I saw a guy at a dealership had some on.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Sorry I can't help with specifics, but you might visit or telephone that dealer and ask them.

Just a thought. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?", the question is "who has them now?"

Mike Patterson

If you live in a city, check with any safety equipment company. There are hundreds of places online for safety equipment but it's been my experience that it will cost you 150%: http://65.173.237.14/isea/categorylist.cfm?category_1=Hand%20Protection

Reply to
 Paul

DriveWerks.com - Medium Thickster Latex Gloves Pkg50 (14 Mil Thickness)

DISPOSE NITRILE GLOVE MED 50PK DERMA-MAX 8-MIL THICK, Item no. SAS660740

Here are a couple

Reply to
TOLYN9

pricey, but won't find any better quality. Opt for the 8mil thickness.

4mil is a piece of shit. They rip when putting them on.
Reply to
Rob

The nitrile glove materials compatibility looks like:

Nitrile performs well in: ? Dilute acids ? Ethylene glycol ? Petroleum oils and fuels ? Silicone oils and greases ? Water (below 212° F)

Nitrile does not perform well in: ? Aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene, xylene) ? Automotive brake fluid ? Halogen derivatives (carbon tetrachloride,trichloroethylene) ? Ketones (MEK, acetone) ? Phosphate ester hydraulic fluids (Skydrol®, Pydraul®) ? Strong acids

If you are looking for extended protection from automotive brake fluid, you may want to look to a different material.

Corey

Reply to
Corey872

What other materials are available in 4mil-8mil thickness that still give reasonable good dexterity(?) besides latex and Nitrile? I've never seen any other glove material used for general maintenance work.

Nitrile is good for incidental contact with most solvents and acids. You can't do much under the hood wearing a pair of 22-mil thick neoprene or butyl rubber gloves. It's a trade off between protection and dexterity.

Reply to
Rob

Unfortunately, nothing performs real well in brake fluid.. But the thin (probably 4 mil) latex gloves I presently use don't work. I recently went through 6 pairs in one brake job. They just disintegrate when weakened by brake fluid.

Thanks, I'll check into them.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

|On 4 Dec 2003 10:26:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Corey872) |wrote: | |>The nitrile glove materials compatibility looks like: |>

|> Nitrile performs well in: |>? Dilute acids |>? Ethylene glycol |>? Petroleum oils and fuels |>? Silicone oils and greases |>? Water (below 212° F) |>

|>Nitrile does not perform well in: |>? Aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene, xylene) |>? Automotive brake fluid | |Unfortunately, nothing performs real well in brake fluid.. But the |thin (probably 4 mil) latex gloves I presently use don't work. I |recently went through 6 pairs in one brake job. They just |disintegrate when weakened by brake fluid.

I've used nitrile gloves many times when bleeding brakes. i don't recall any degradation at all. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Same here. I use the cheapie nitrile gloves that are on sale at Harbor Freight from time to time for $5-6 per box of 100. Carb cleaner does them in pretty fast, brake fluid will eventually cause them to tear, but usually I'm long since done with the brakes before that becomes an issue.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan