no clearcoat, what to do

Hi, I have a beautiful 1990 Pontiac Bonneville in great condition. Just gave her a good once over, but really want to take care of the top & hood--no clearcoat left, some damage from oak trees. We use Meguiar's for cleaning to waxing to detailing. Can I restore a sheen to these problem areas myself or does this require shopwork?

Thanks much, Bonny90

Reply to
ronabook

After 17 years your worried about a lustrous sheen? Are you entering a car show? Just wax it twice and it should be alright.

harryface

05 Park Avenue 55,845 miles 91 Bonneville 309,440 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

No show, really just want to protect the car as I expect to be driving it for the next decade or so. Thanks for your response.

Bonny90

Reply to
ronabook

I don't know if it can be purchased but clearcoat (urethane) is available in aerosol cans for touch up purposes at automotive factories.. It is quick drying. I do not know if it requires buffing.

Reply to
tnom

Found this:

tnom

I had the paint (it was a repaint before I bought it) on just the hood go on a Corsica. I sanded it and then used spray cans of touch up paint to repaint the color coat (blue metallic) and then used the clear coat to finish it. It didn't come out very good because I didn't buy enough paint but based on how it did come out, if you were willing to buy enough spray cans you could get something passable. It was still a lot better then the chalky old paint.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher