noisy speedometer

I've got a noisy speedometer. I just changed the speedo cable because it broke, but before that there was intermittent noise from the speedo. Particularly when the car was cold, and normally was worse when speeding up between 25 and 45, then not so bad at high speeds.

Last month my speedo cable died, so i just replaced it. I had assumed the noise had been due to the worn cable not turning smoothly. But after putting in the new cable, the noise returned. I turned the speedometer by hand and it felt a bit loose, so I assume the speedometer bearing is loose causing vibration and noise. I put in some graphite lubricant powder into the bearing gap, and after a few minutes of noise, now there is no noise at all.

My question is, is the graphite lube the best thing to keep this problem in check, or should i use a different lubricant (or some other trick) to keep the noise from coming back?

thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Think you have found an ideal solution. (When the noise returns in about 3-4 years, u might try dry graphite dust :)) Good luck, sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi