non-transparent coolant overflow tank

I also have the same engine... I just take wild guesses usually at how much coolant to put in there. If I remember correctly, there was a point in the distant past, I could actually see the hot and cold full marks. I don't think it is the fact that it is dirty either... I flushed it throughly a couple of time to no avail... Any help from some other owners is truly appreciated.

- JR

Reply to
JR Lomas

I have a 3.1 L Cutlass Supreme. Coolant is checked using marks on the plastic overflow tank, however it is impossible to see through it. Opening it and looking down doesn't work either because of the shape. Any ideas?

Reply to
Andrew Sasak

Approximately 9/9/03 12:32, Andrew Sasak uttered for posterity:

  1. Clean or replace tank.
  2. Dip a marked stick into tank, then hold along outside of tank.
Reply to
Lon Stowell

|I have a 3.1 L Cutlass Supreme. Coolant is checked using marks on the |plastic overflow tank, however it is impossible to see through it. Opening |it and looking down doesn't work either because of the shape. Any ideas?

Just fill it above where you think it should be, or fill it to the point you can see it in the opening. It may burp out the excess a time or two while it seeks it's level. The only downside is a little coolant on the driveway, or maybe the parking lot at work. It wil not hurt anything to overfill it. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Overfilling doesn't matter a bit.

If you want to hit the mark, aim a flashlight down the filler hole and you should be able to see the level in the overflow tank.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang