Nuclear batteries.

On the web, whichever search engine you like,,, Will nuclear batteries power our cars?

Maybe, some day. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Gosh, I hope not.The nuclear radiation source would have to be rather strong to power a car, and I see that as being very hazardous

Reply to
hls

Right. Nuclear batteries are best for low drain devices that you want to last a long time without replacement. Any I have seen are not really that efficient.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hell, peoople can't even safely maintain their cars as it is...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I want one of those new fangled Air Cars/Vans, runs on compressed air.As little driving as I do nowadays, that would be perfect for me.

On the web, The Air Car cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Hello, and that's why NASA uses them. Now for automobiles how about a "Mr. Fusion"? Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

Keeps you in shape, too! Every few miles you need to jump out with your tire pump and "recharge" the compressed air :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Awww, I would tote a 12 volt battery and a little 12 volt air pump.Why not have air pumps buillt into the wheels? That probally wouldn't work too good.

The World's second nuclear powered car, Cadillac.Of course, Ford was first back in the 1950s with the Ford Nucleon concept car, I don't think it had an actual nuclear powered engine though.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That statement is ignorant and stupid on so many levels, I doubt you are even 10 years old.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It goes well with his rubber band car.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Are you trying to say that NASA's use of anything represents industrial efficiency and safety?

As far as efficiency, depends upon how you calculate it, but they are not high current, not for the common people, and certainly entail a radiation hazard, the level of which depends upon the strength of the source.

If you want to talk about fusion devices, you are much further out into the future.

Reply to
hls

Compressed air powered vehicles date back to the 1800s.They were used in mining operations.

The longest distance I ever drive anymore is about 14 miles round trip to and from a Veterinary supply store for Pro Pac dog food for my little couch buddy doggy.She owns the couch. A compressed air powered car/van would be great for me.Some people have home made their own compressed air vehicles.Usually from second hand parts they scrounged up from junk yards, wherever. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

> cuhulin

Then it becomes an electric car, not a pneumatic one.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Many years ago some cars had built in air pumps for airing up tires.There was a little lever to start the air pump and a length of air hose.Put the car in neutral with the engine running, hook up the air hose and flip that little lever and they could air up those tires.It was a Martha Stewart Good thing. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What you need isn't a car at all, but a bigger dog. You get something like a Newfie that you can ride 14 miles.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yeah. Think of the guy with a couple of rusting nukes up on cement blocks in his front yard.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

He could use those rusting nukes up on blocks to power his house. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ever wonder why the powerplants from decommissioned submarines have not been converted to power generation at suitable sites on land?

I suspect the technical problems would be minimal in some cases, but the licensing, inspection, and general red tape would be overwhelming.

Reply to
hls

In the US, the Navy powerplants run with much higher flux densities and with much smaller safety margins than would be allowed in a civilian power station. Different design for different application... even the fuel they use is substantially different.

I'm surprised the Russians haven't done it, though. Back in the cold war days, the Russians were willing to operate some very high energy power reactors under conditions that would never have been permitted in the west.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I don't think U.S.Navy wants their decomissioned nuclear power Ship/Submarine plants to be used for any other purposes.I wasn't in the Navy, so what do I know? GO ARMY, GO NAVY, GO AIR FORCE, GO MARINES, GO COAST GUARD. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin