OBD 1 Code reader / Scanner what to buy or stay away

In the market for an OBD-1 code reader / code scanner. Found this one on Ebay

for $46. Also found others online at most ofthe major auto parts suppliers for more $$. I'm looking for yourexperiences and thoughts about what reader is a better buy.

FYI, I know about jumping A & B terminals to pull the fault codes. My problem is my 94 Caprice (Ex cop car) cannot give the codes without a scanner.

Dan

Reply to
toolman84

You already got a reply to your other post stating that the A-B trick won't work on 94-up Caprice. I don't know off the top of my head if this is true, but it is likely to be. If you look at the VECI sticker under the hood you will see a phrase like "OBDII certified" or some such. This indicates that your vehicle is OBDII compliant and therefore will require an OBDII capable code reader.

Since 1994 is in the "quasi-OBDII" or "OBD 1.5" era of EFI system design, you could even have two connectors, an old style 12 pin ALDL and the new 16 pin DLC. If there *is* a 16 pin trapezoidal DLC connector under the steering column (highly likely), get or borrow an OBDII code reader to extract codes.

The one you linked to will not work any better than a paperclip, and certainly not at all on an OBDII only diagnostic design.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish