OBD-II Code Reader recommendation??

I have a couple '80s vintage cars/trucks and just purchased a '98 F-150. Until now I have survived without a code reader. The older vehicles with computers allow you to read the codes by flashing the "service lite" or an LED.

My local parts store will read codes with their multi-purpose reader (looks kinda exspensive). However, I hate to bother them as I'm trouble shooting by trial and error. Even with the code number, there are often several components that could be causing the problem. (Unlike the dealer, I only want to replace the defective component.) Therefore I want to be able to clear or reset after each attempt. My service manual warns against disconnecting the battery to clear the codes, since other important performance info will be lost.

I guess I should now purchase my own code reader and wonder what brand or model would be the best, price wise. Since I expect the F-150 won't be my last OBD-II, I should get one that can be used on other vehicles.

Opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You need a code reader by ACTRON. It is the cheapest, and the best. get the $200 one because it tells the codes and also is able to tell you what each sensor is reporting, while the engine is running. This lets you compare it with normal values, lets you campare the new part you put in with the value from the old one, and lets you become experienced with the proper operation of the systems on the car. It really is simple, once you get the hang of it. Without this information you feel like it is impossible to fix it and give it to a mechanic or a dealer and get ripped off. With the scanner you know what is wrong, and any new car you get you can also fix because they all work on the OBDII system now and are very similar. All engine manufacturers have to solve the emissions problems in similar ways, because there are only so many ways to build a piston engine, and the principle of operation is the same. Besides, you will make lots of new friends with your new toy, and feel good about being the neighborhood "man in the know". You can also do what I do, and supplement your income by buying cars with problems, cheap, putting on your meter and diagnosing them, fixing them and selling them or using them yourself. I taught my kids how to do this, and they all got steals of a deal on their cars, and now fix their own cars themselves. This is worth many thousands of dollars over a lifetime. Give a man a fish and he will eat one meal, teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Reply to
fastcarface

Yep Model 9145 IIRC. Is what I use.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

If he has a laptop computer he can buy a version from other suppliers like scantool.net obdscan.net etc. probably more features, but less totable.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Indeed so. If I had a laptop I would have bought AutoTap. But I don't, so the Actron 9145 does a fine job anyhow. I have solid datastream profiles of all my *normal* parameters on my hard drive, so if something goes dinky dow, I can spot where it's coming from ( in theory ). You get a lot of power in an Actron, BUT, I still would prefer the AutoTap.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

If you are looking for a lot of functionality from a scan tool for a small bit more than the cost of a code reader, then search ebay for an OTC Monitor 4000 Enhanced. Don't confuse it with a 4000E. The 'enhanced' version is slightly better -- at least in the cable setup. It should come with domestic cables and you will need to be sure it has the OBDII cable and at least the 'Generic System Smart Insert" which I believe is P/N 3306-01. This insert will cover Ford, most GM, and generic OBD II. Other inserts are available for Chrysler, ABS, etc. You may need to find a used Pathfinder 99 cartridge to communicate with your 98 F150 if the kit has an older version.

This tool will open up your eyes to EFI diagnosis if you've never used one before. They should be going for cheap too, since the Monitor platform has been dropped for the last few years. It's great for domestics and is virtually worthless for imports, FYI. You will be able to get into more than just the PCM on most domestics. Typically there will be ABS and airbag coverage as well. Sometimes it requires a special cable or insert, which are relatively cheap. You can control motors and solenoids with bi-directional control on many different systems. Makes a dandy generic code reader, too.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish