OBD II Software recommendation?

I want to use my computer, ( PC WinXP ) to monitor the On-Board Info in late model cars. There are so many programs for sale, all making great claims, I have no idea which may be best. I would like a somewhat comprehensive program(s), maybe. PowerTrain info , primarily, but other info too, as Transmission, AirBag, ABS etc. But, I have no idea of prices, usefulness or compatibility items.

Any advice is appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

Hi Larry, I want to do the same thing. What I found out is that you want to get the ELM chip based OBD-2 interface which has a serial port on the computer-side. You plug that in and you can use it directly. All you need is a terminal program (e.g. rusty trusty old kermit.) You talk to the interface similarly as you would talk to a modem. The ELM web site has a data-sheet that lists all the commands. That way you don't really need software or at least you don't worry as much about other software.

AFAIK there is quite a bit of free OBD-2 software out there. Google and you will find.

regards,

-Gunther

Larry Starr wrote:

Reply to