OBD2 Scan Tool for Toyota

I want to buy a cheap OBD2 scanner to solve the mystery of check engine light coming on on my father's 97 corolla. My question to the group is: can this gadget be used on a 2000 Sienna as well ?

My sienna has been perfect maintenance wise, but since I am spending the money on a tool I want to get something that can be used on more than one cars.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Reply to
JW

Check this out.

WRH

Whoops, change that 23352 to 3352

Reply to
WRH

So, does that scanner work for any Toyota?

Let's say, a Camry or a 4Runner??

Reply to
FORY

I bought this code reader last week. I searched for a while and locally it was about the best deal.

It does the generic OBD2 codes and manufacture specific ones for most. Get more info on thier website.

I believe it can be had for about $125 US

Hayman

|> My sienna has been perfect maintenance wise, but since I am spending |> the money on a tool I want to get something that can be used on more |> than one cars. |>

|> Thanks in advance for helping. | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

| |So, does that scanner work for any Toyota? | |Let's say, a Camry or a 4Runner??

OBD2 is a standard that all cars have to comply with for US certification. All cars and light trucks 1996 and new have the same connector and the same basic drivetrain codes. Once you get into things like ABS or Airbag (SRS) codes, you may or may not be able to read them with a consumer-grade scanner. But if you are wondering if that CEL is a dire warning or a deferrable issue, the Equus or the HF will answer the immediate question. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Yes, you can get a pretty good one with freeze frame data included and other goodies for about $249. Our Cornwell guy was selling these for $199. If your really interested, let me know, I'll see if he'll still sell them for that. If he does and you still need one, we'll take it from there.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

It will work on every car imported to the US dating from 1996 to curent except Hybrids. How is that!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

The only comment I would add about the really basic code scanners is that they often don't provide anything more than the codes. No live data, no functional tests.. With live data, you see the actual sensor voltages that the computer is using to decide it has a problem. Scanners like GM's Tech-2 allows you to control solenoids on the transmission to test them.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Just curious, what kind of scan tool do they use in toyota dealerships ? How expensive are the tools and what can mechanics do with them ?

Reply to
JW

The Toyota Diagnostic Scanner, which I believe is now made by Vetronix. Expensive -- think thousands for the base unit and thousands more for software and memory cards. Think $5k or so and you'd probably have most of what you wanted. (And they'll sell you updates too!) I hate to ask the Vetronix guy what anything costs, his prices usually make my head spin.

What can they do? Pull codes, display live data, I think they interface with Toyota's NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) tool (basically a low freq. spectrum analyzer), and they are probably capable of special tests. (E.g. turning a cylinder off for power balance test or manually engaging a Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid.) The GM Tech-2 will allow you to engage and disengage solenoids on the transmission for troubleshooting, I think the TDS does the same but have never used one for the task.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

The GM TechII along with Toyotas Vetronix with enhanced software, we can do all kindsa of stuff, ie active test, but this stuff is only limited to dealers. As for the "code reader", yes, its all you get, just the code and some will do just engine codes, ie the "P0" (P0440 etc) series, while the manufacturer specific codes, ie "P1" (P1447) may not even be displated. If they are, there will be zero data with it, jsut the code. The can tool I was speaking of will have freezeframe data, along with "pending codes" and readiness test. This is needed to confirm a repair.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Its made by Vertronix and has special software and we get all updates on line. Its basically the same tool as the MAC "Mastertech". The Toyota one is available to the public, but cost with cables, enhanced software etc can run about $3000.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Thats only the beginning of what it can do. We can do active test, ie EGR, VVT, VVTLI, manually shift transmission, update ECU's, program imobilizer keys, reset imobilizers, scan Hybrids, and the freezefrane data is really large compared to generic or global. We have about 6 times the freezefram data available.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

MDT Tech: Have you gotten a chance to go to Prius training or anything for CAN?

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

So if a person has the money, they can get any diagnostic tool the mechanics can get?

Reply to
New Question

IF A PERSON HAS THE MONEY THEY CAN GET WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!

Reply to
Derek Clarke

As long as you know the secret handshake....

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Derek ... in the realm of "things" that you want, your assertion is probably true.

Reply to
Philip®