Oh no! Yet another tools thread. (Upholstery removers)

I see a one or two 9 mil and a 6.something (one of two) mil forks in a catalog at a local snap-on dealer wannabe (no snap-on is sold here, hence the wannabe :).

Which cars typically have fatter pins and which ones the thinner ones? Would rather not buy both to pluck the rear gate covers off on my A4

(I'm sure flat screwdriver wrapped in some cloth might work, I'm also sure I'll break some pins)

Reply to
isquat

If they're "christmas trees" you'll break some anyway. Not sure what size they are on Audi but I think VW typically uses smaller fasteners

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Forgot to add, snap-on is overkill for trim tools, I use a Harbor Freight set of plastic (nylon?) pry bars instead. Saving my money for when Snap-On quality really matters.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The nylon ones are the same set that most of the high dollar outfits sell. Also look at the plier type. Those are nice for the trees. No prying , just slip them in place and squeeze. And again the HF units are sold under "brand names" by other companies.

Reply to
Steve W.

ok, as long as plastic ones don't break I guess I'll save some money and buy a set for a price of a single. thanks Nate

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC

google search lead to ebay where the prices list in about $12-24 range

they are typically pictured next to a bag of [ shaped steel clips (kinda like bent nails). What the heck are these for?

Reply to
isquat

These?

they retain the window handles and sometimes door handles on old cars that use roll up windows. There's a tool for those too

although you usually don't have to use the installer end, just put the clip on the handle and smack it in place usually works. The remover end is awful handy though. Wrap it with masking tape to save your door panels.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Different tool. The ones you refer to are hog rings and hog ring pliers. They are what is used to hold the seat upholstery on some cars.

The pliers I mentioned are HF item #67399 Panel Clip pliers. They are great for popping door panels off quick and with very little damage to the trees.

Reply to
Steve W.

and the stronger/better expensive version is:

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I have both. The only thing the Snap-ons do better is suck money out of your wallet. The HF ones actually have more comfortable grips as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

gotcha, those might have been indoor upholstery removal tools I found ;-)

Ok. Googled/binged and got the link for 67399 (with picture). Thank you.