Oil change prices soar up.

Recently I was in a Wal Mart. Last year there basic oil change was about $18.95. Now Wal Mart charges $30.00 for the same basic oil change. Why such a huge and sudden increase?

They are now as expensive as the premium oil change chains. (Jiffy Lube and Valvoline)

Is Wal Mart just price gouging or should we expect the other oil change shops to have big price increases also?

Reply to
Bailey B

sounds like it's time to start doing them yourself to save anything.

Oil prices have been steadily climbing here at my work, so I'm not too surprised that their prices aren't cheap anymore. Over $3.50 for a name brand and over $2.75 for the house brand oil per quart. Just recently my work (Federated Auto Parts) is having a sale on the house oil $1.89 a quart which is Amilie oil.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Because they started doing it at $18.95 to undercut the local guys who were charging more. Now they have driven the local guys out of business, and they can afford to raise their rates because they have no competition any more.

Wal-Mart has a long history of price gouging. Just change your own oil, that way you know it's actually been done properly. I wouldn't trust the kids at ANY of those chains within ten feet of my car.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

$$$ Why is gasoline now as much as a dollar per gallon higher than it was a few months ago? $$$

Crude oil prices havent soared that much. "They" are getting the motorist greased up for summer vacation.

Reply to
HLS

Its summer, the mandated switch from winter to summer gas is just being finished up, and people want to drive more so the market will bear the price increase so long as they don't go too high.

Reply to
Steve

Sure, and inching up gradually helps prevent a backlash. You're heard about the guy who cut his dog's tail off an inch at a time so that it wouldn't hurt him so much? That is the way I feel about this tactic...BUT

compared to some other parts of the world, gasoline is still a bargain, and prices are never going to remain at the levels that we all knew and loved.

Reply to
HLS

Hehe. Like putting the frog in lukewarm water and increasing the heat. Well, not quite.

We got it good. Unless the gov applies taxes I don't think we'll see

4 buck gas for a long, long time. Folks were cutting back at 4 bucks, and that was before the economy went to hell.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

When you get done with changing your own oil and oil filter, call the Wal Mart Gestapo store automotive department and tell them you saved money by doing it yourself. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This reply really has no bearing on your question but I would stay away from Wal-Mart as well.

They forgot one time to refill the oil in my Maxima. They are absolutely incompetent. Doing it yourself, if possible, if really not a bad idea. I know it can be harder in urban areas but not impossible if you are somewhat resourceful.

I really don't even like taking my car to the dealer's grease monkeys much less Wal-Mart.

Buy supplies there, not labor.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew DuPree

This reply really has no bearing on your question but I would stay away from Wal-Mart as well.

They forgot one time to refill the oil in my Maxima. They are absolutely incompetent. Doing it yourself, if possible, if really not a bad idea. I know it can be harder in urban areas but not impossible if you are somewhat resourceful.

I really don't even like taking my car to the dealer's grease monkeys much less Wal-Mart.

Buy supplies there, not labor.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew DuPree

Agree in principle. WalMart hires whomever they can get that can reasonably pull a wrench and will work for low wages. Some might be good, more might not be. It is not WalMarts policy do destroy the cars they work on.

And, you can also get incompetent work at the dealership.

OP might well want to learn to do it himself.

Reply to
HLS

Changing oil and oil filter (on most vehicles) is so simple and relativly easy, there is no reason you shouldn't do it your self.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin