Oil drain plug leak

Subject says it. 1994 Honda Accord. Changed oil and had a small drip from the drain plug after reinstalling. Tried a copper gasket from my collection and still leaks. Went to Napa and paid $ 0.99 for another copper gasket (they did not have the soft aluminum gasket in stock) and still another leak.

Went to Honda and asked for the right gasket. Then gave me an aluminum "O" ring at no charge. Hope this one works. Of course, meanwhile as you can imagine, drain the oil each time, clean up the mess, refill with oil, etc. etc.

I want this to be the last time. Will try the Honda aluminum gasket. Any advice? I've been changing oil for over 45 years (including, 45 years ago,

2 years working in a gas station while going to school) and have never had this happened. The underside of the drain plug is totally smooth and undamaged. The same can be said for the mating surface on the oil pan.

The gaskets we used to have decades ago were copper clad with a soft inner filling, probably asbestos. They were very 'crushable' and sealed quite well. Can't find those anywhere.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I've had quite good luck with the white washer that looks/feels like hard plastic. Never thought I'd like them, but on a few stubborn 'leakers' they always seemed (or seemed always?) to stop the leak. They look quite thick, about 3/32 inch and often do not fit snugly to the plug diameter. Hope you find this to work for you too. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Some folks in here might frown on this practice, but a wee bit of plumbers teflon tape makes a perfect seal without the risk of over tightening the plug.

Reply to
Marty

Hey, thanks everyone. After dropping the oil 5 times and trying copper, aluminum, Teflon, aluminum with rubber gasket combinations on the drain plug (all to no avail) I finally found that the problem is a hairline crack in the oil pan immediately adjacent to the drain plug. The plug threads into a thickened (re-enforced) area of the pan and immediately at the edge of this thickened area starts a hairline crack that radiates outward for about 3/8 ths of an inch.

I propose to clean the area with a wire wheel and then hit it with the wire feed welder. Ground strap will be within a few inches, however I will disconnect the battery just in case. Wife will stand by with a huge fire extinguisher. Car is up on a hoist.

Removing the pan is the other alternative, but lots of exhaust pipe and cross bracing in the way. Probably about 2 hours work.

All comments, suggestions, warnings appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

That would certainly explain it. I was thinking it was odd that all those gaskets would be failing. Not having a MIG, I'd pull it and TIG it, but in any case, if you can I'd try to purge the interior with inert gas to help prevent the oil on the inside burning. Drilling a small hole at the end of the crack before welding probably wouldn't hurt either.

Reply to
Pete C.

Be careful, a couple years ago, there was someone in the city where i live, cleaning something in the garage with a flamible liquid. When his wife came to the door of the garage with a light cigarette there was a huge fire ball and her face was burnt beyond recognition. just a word of caution.

Reply to
boxing