Oil Filter Bypass Valve Question

Hi,

I was changing the oil and filter today on my gf's 96 Nissan Sentra with the 1.6L engine. After I had the old oil filter off, I shone a flashlight up on the mating surface on the engine wall, and saw the hole in the center, which lets oil into the engine from the filter, and also 2 holes near the outer edge of the mating circle, next to each other,. I believe one was the oil inlet hole, for letting oil into the filter, and the other hole the "oil filter bypass valve". This "oil filter bypass valve " hole had a rough lip protruding from its circumfrerence. I thought perhaps something had been there which had broken off, leaving this rough lip. Inside this hole was a very weak valve, held in place by a spring pushing it from behind, I assume. I was able to push the valve back in very easily with a pen. Seems like the filter would only need to provide a very weak resistance in order for the bypass valve to open and have the oil not go through the filter.

Am I on target about this hole? Is it the "oil filter bypass valve" ? Is it supposed to be so weak? Is it normal for the lip around it to be rough and uneven ?

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

Probably.

If there is a built in check valve, then yes.

Well, dirty oil is better than no oil. It doesn't take much of a restriction in a filter to tell you that it is overfull of dirt. There should be a safety check flap in the filter as well.

It's probably a cast filter adapter housing. The rough surface won't harm anything as long as the travel of the check valve plunger is unimpeded by the 'bonus' metal on the housing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish