Oil life indicator

I own an 2007 Saturn Aura XR with about 59,000 miles. I've had the car since July of last year and so far I've put on about 23,000 miles. I drive on average of about 950 miles per week. I've only had the oil changed twice in the nearly 6 months that I've owned it. Both times that I've had it changed I've waited until the "oil life" reading on the DIC had decremented itself down to 0%. Today, when I was in for my most recent oil change, the oil change tech scolded me for not bringing in the car sooner. I specified that it had been nearly 11,000 miles since my last change but that the oil life reading had only very recently went all the way down to 0%. He told me that I can't use that as an indicator as to when the oil should be changed if I'm using standard oil. He said that I'd need to be using a premium type oil in order to go that long without a change. I double checked my owners manual and reread the portion that talked about oil changes. As I expected, the manual said that the car uses the onboard computer to determine when the oil needs to be changed. As well, the manual didn't say anything at all about only using high grade synthetic oils. My question is this - if I'm using regular grade 10w

- 30 oil should I "trust" the car and only get my oil changed when the life meter decrements itself all the way down to, or near, 0% (even if this means that 10 or 11 thousand miles have passed since my last change) or should I religiously change my oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles as has been preached to us since time immeasurable. I think that the oil change tech was probably just regurgitating what he was told when he was hired - "tell everyone that has gone more then 3 months or 3,000 miles since their last change that this is a bad practice and that it should be done every 3 months or 3,000 regardless." Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Shawn

That's a cool gadget. I'd use it. Other people wouldn't and instead stick to a rigid schedule or never change the oil. My guess is that the manufacturer programed the meter to log in your time and distance driven as well as other factors to come up with the results. For the average guy it probably is a good idea.

Reply to
dsi1

The manufacturers goal is for the car to make it through the warranty period and have a "reasonable life" There really is no advantage to them if you get 300k out of it...

The oil change place wants to sell oil! They'll tell you to change it regardless because that means more money for their pockets.

You could have your oil tested at different mileages to see how it's doing and when it is time to replace it, but one testing costs about as much as changing the oil.

Personally I change the oil around every 5k miles whether my car thinks it is time to or not. I have NO facts to back this up.. it's just what makes me feel good. I've never had an oil related engine failure in a car so it seems to be working fairly well for thus far. YMMV

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Premium oil?? Meaningless term...

GM has standards for the oil that should be used in their vehicles. The one that applies to your Saturn is; GM6094M, you can verify this in the owners manual/maintenance schedule that came with your car.

GM has a published list of the oils that meet the GM6094 approval.

Do NOT assume that any oil meets this approval, many do not. If you know what brand and type of oil is being used by whoever you frequent for oil changes, you can visit that oil companies web site and download the technical data sheets for that oil to see if it really does list as being GM6094M approved. But looking at the GM list, there are some pretty un-premium oils listed there.

It does in fact mention the GM6094M specification.

Your car doesn't require nor should you be using 10W30 motor oil. it requires 5W30 motor oil that is GM6094M approved.

If you are using the correct oil, yes. The correct oil is a 5W30 that is GM6094M approved.

For the oil life monitor to be relevant and accurate, the correct oil HAS to be used.

That would be inadequate if using the wrong oil. Using the wrong oil, every 1000 miles wouldn't suffice.

Why would you use the wrong oil?

No, he is under-educated which is why he's changing oil in the first place.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That is the simplest of the situations.. You use the oil quality that the manufacturer recommends.

As far as when you change it, it is your car, do what you want. If you want to expect maximum life and a living warranty, follow the manufacturers recommendations....if you have a point to make, change it when you want, or never if you so choose.

I err on the side of caution....oil is cheap.

Reply to
hls

aarcuda69062 wrote:snip

snip Additionally, the API has established "service grades". This is NOT to be confused with viscosity. Viscosity merely means how thick or thin. Service grade is closer to a "quality" rating. These service grades are developed in close association with the car manufacturers, and each car manufacturer specifies which service grade and which viscosity should be used in their vehicle.

A couple of decades back the oil industry was developing new service grades very rapidly, and it seemed each car I bought required several grades beyond what my old one did. Things have stabilized a bit, and the grades are not changing so rapidly. The downside of that is that no one seems to talk about service grades any more.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Thanks to all that provided an informative reply!

Reply to
Shawn

I wouldn't substitute any API grade in leu of a manufacturers oil standard. In the case of the OPs Saturn, the current API grade SM is inferior to and in fact doesn't even come close to the GM6094M standard. Some manufacturers may only specify that a API or ILSAC grade need be used but it is getting less frequent.

For good reason, API is the oil manufactures stating -their- standards. They are functionally obsolete. Makes more sense to go by what the vehicle manufacturer has actually tested and approved. GM, Ford, Chrysler, VW, Mercedes Benz, Saab all have oil standards that greatly exceed anything API currently offers.

ACEA ratings are much better as an overall standard in the absence of a manufacturers standard.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Define "caution."

Over enthusiastic oil changing can cause premature catalytic convertor failure.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What is over enthusiastic? Toyota specifies 5000 miles on my car. I change in the range of 3500-4500.. I damn sure wont push it to 7500.

I have heard about premature convertor damage but have never experienced it.

Reply to
hls

If you are using regular oil you should change it every 6 months or

6000 miles. There is no reason to change it any sooner then that. If you use synthetic like Mobile 1 you can change it every 12 months or 12,000 miles. I just read an article quoting some GM engineers about their oil life monitor and they indicated the average interval is 6000 miles. Your high weekly mileage is easy on the oil so 6/6000 should be no problem. Our fleet of thousands of vehicles does 6/6000 with no problems. It is possible that the technical specs for the oil in your owners manual is actually a synthetic oil although it seems rather unlikely for a Saturn. They do spec synthetic in the Corvettes.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It may not be in the news but they have been working on a new spec and it is just about to be released. It's called GF-5. It's actually a year behind schedule. The article I just read said that GM is not going to use it but will require all new GM vehicles to use a spec called Dexos that GM has developed and that is more stringent then the GF-5. They GM people also said it will allow longer drain intervals using the Oil Monitor Algorithms to turn on the "time to change oil light". Current oils average right around 6000 miles by their algorithm.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I know one guy who changes his oil every 2000 miles. He's fanatical about it and thinks he's doing himself some sort of favor.

Why would you push to 7500 if it exceeds Toyotas service interval by

2500 miles?

Read up on SAPS and the damage it can do.

If you buy a catalytic convertor from any GM dealership it carries a core charge. GM tests these cores for causes of failure, many are from SAPS contamination.

Resources, whether they be precious metal or petroleum are finite. (but I know that you knew that ;_)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The chart I posted clearly shows that it isn't.

That spec was also included.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

How is that?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I think you're confused. This is supposed to be an issue with diesel truck engines and the most recent emission laws for exhaust treatment on those engines.

If that is true, what has it got to do with how often someone changes oil?

You should recycle used oil.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Nope.

May be. it is and has been an issue for gasoline engines since the advent of OBD2 and the increased warranty requirements of catalytic convertors.

Because SAPS emissions is highest on fresh oil.

Yes and?

Used oil that goes to make asphalt for paving does nothing to help the supply needed for lubrication. Same for used oil that is burned for heat.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I wouldnt. Even if I used Mobil 1 in it, Toyota is responsible for the spec and the warranty :>)

Reply to
hls

Filters.cfm

Ash deposits in the catalytic converter might be issue, but that doesn't have anything to do with changing oil too often.

Studies done by Cummins diesel say the opposite is true.

There is no shortage of supply for refinery lubrication products most of the crude that could be used for lube oil already goes for other things like paving and fuel. if the recycled oil is used for other purposes that is because that is where the demand is. No matter what your recycled oil is used for the recycling means that much less less crude oil is imported.

-jim

Reply to
jim