Oil light flicker

The oil light on my 1999 Sebring convertible flickered for a second or two while the car was idling at a traffic light. As soon as I increased the rpms it went off and did not appear the rest of the day while driving around town and idling at lights. I had checked the oil level the night before and also checked it again after this happened and it was full. Possibly a leaking or defective oil sending unit? The car has a 2.5 Litre V-6 engine and has 70,000 miles on it. I do know the valve cover gaskets are leaking and they have to be replaced.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

Yes, very possibly the sending unit is bad. It will turn the oil light on at something around 6 psi or lower when it's working right. They are usually easy to get to and replace and should not cost much.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Maybe. Take off the sending unit, put on a real gauge and see what the oil pressure at idle really is. If it's too low, find out why. If it's just fine, change the sending unit.

A little seeping from the valve covers never hurt anyone. You can ignore that for a while. Low oil pressure is not a thing to ignore.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey