Oil Pressure Light Comes On- 2002 Galant

My GF has a 2002 Galant with about 60K miles on it. Recently, she reported that the oil pressure warning light came on sporadically, sometimes flickering. She also reported that it would come on more often when she was stopped at a light. The oil was checked and found to be full. (1) Is this likely to be a true oil pump failure at 60K miles, and is there anything I've said that suggests it isn't? (Dont worry, she will have it checked ASAP.) (2) Can the pressure be verified with a simple external gauge attachment? If so, where is this normally attached? Your help is much appreciated. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Oil pressure must be verified mechanically. Simply a matter of popping the electronic oil pressure sender out and temporarily hooking a mechanical gauge up. This eliminates the possibility of a bad sender/gauge/wiring/funky dash cluster voltage/electrical noise skewing the OP reading on the electronic gauge.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thank you- she will have it checked today. Hopefully it will be one of the many causes you mentioned other than the really serious one.

Reply to
frank1492

I'd "bet" the problem is the sender, gauge on dash or wiring if the oil has been changed regularly and the car has been well maintained, buuutttt the stakes are fairly high and I don't think I would gamble destroying a $2500 motor.

Reply to
bobby