OK a simple windshield cleaning question....

Have a chrystler concord with a filthy windshield (inside surface). Have tried several ways of cleaning it over the last couple of years, to no avail, so its just been lived with for the most part, but its really getting annoying. When facing the sun its very hard to see through, lots of streaks, streaks, and more streaks. At most other directions you can see just fine. Have tried regular windex, armorall glass cleaning wipes, armorall spray glass cleaner, and some fancy professional grade stuff out of a spray can. Each time i cleaned i tried everything from clean bath towells(worst results!!) T-shirts, paper towells and each time streaks remained, just seems like cleaning moves them around instead of removing the grime from the glass. Even tried the newspaper trick and still get streaks(albeit they've changed orientation based on how you wiped). I've been able to do just fine cleaning the outside surface, and both sides of all the other windows the ones on the pickup, but this inside surface on teh concord windshield is just a major pain to get clean... Any suggestions?

Reply to
nooneimportant

removing the

suggestions?

Seems I remember a report or something about old safety glass failures(weeping.) You might ask Dow-Corning or 3M. I would try denatured alcohol followed by floor wax to seal it.

wws

Reply to
wws

With the disclaimer that this works for me.... Clorox in our area has released little plastic tubes of glass wipes. On a truly fogged windshield, waste two of them just scrubbing off the heavy layers. Then use 1 or 2 more, but this time wipe the glass good, then dry with a heavy duty paper towel. The ones at your local gas station work very nicely and if you feel guilty, you can buy them at auto supply places.

The Clorox wipes are nice, since you don't need to worry about spraying heavy duty Windex, etc. all over the inside and then wiping it up. They also do a pretty good job of removing all oil from your hands....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I second Castrol Super Clean. It removed leftover adhesive streaks and fingerprints that the slob who installed my windshield didn't bother cleaning up. That stuff is truly amazing. Rinse with water.

Caveat. It will dissolve some components of your skin. You must wear gloves and safety glasses. If you use the spray you must use a respirator.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Same problem(s) I've had for years. I eventually tried some Auri - sort of a telecommercial junk for external paint finishes. I apply it to the inside of the windshield with a cotton terrycloth pad, let the polish dry, buff off just like you would on paint. The Auri works much better on windshields than on paint. I guess you could use any cheap liquid wax/polish, just make sure it drys before "buffing." Of course, it can get the inside of the car a little dusty from the polish, but it works for me. However, if I do it when the humidity is high, then it makes a windshield streak mess worse than ever; if dry and it can be buffed off, it works great.

Reply to
Arch