Old car just for in town. Is it worth it?

Just got 2004 F150. Kept my old '91 Ford Tempo. I drive each day only 2 blocks to work. The car then sits all day until I drive it 2 blocks back home. Over the years I have had to replace the muffler every 2 or 3 years and the battery more often because of this. My previous car died of a sludged up engine at 82000 miles. With the modern technology and oil is this still really hard on an engine and is it worth it to keep the old car just for the around town and drive the truck only on longer trips? I do tend to keep my vehicles 10 or

12 years.

Thanks

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" wrote

Why would you drive "two blocks" to work? Even if it was the dead of winter I wouldn't drive two blocks if I lived that close to work. Most people that use public transit probably have to walk at least two blocks to catch their bus.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

2 blocks? Is this a real post or a troll? On the off-chance that it's a valid request for opinions: Unless you're in a wheelchair, walk fer cryin out loud. I've worked in manufacturing plants (includung an auto plant) that are longer than 2 blocks in length. You have to go further than that to eat in the lunchroom at these places. Nobody drives to the lunchroom. Donate the car to charity for a blue-book value tax writeoff, you're spending more than it's worth just to keep it sitting around.

As far as your oil, you must be putting some real junk (or used) oil in your cars to kill them with sludge in 82k unless you routinely overheat it, fill it with thick 'motor honey', never replace it (or the filter) or something else really goofy. Oil changes only cost about $20, try one sometime. ;)

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna

Reply to
denton

Short trips like that are considered 'extreme duty' when it comes to oil changes.

The sludge is caused because the engine never fully heats up.

I would keep the old beater at least long enough to find out if the new truck is going to be a driver or a lemon.

I only ever bought one new vehicle and that thing spent more time in the shop in the first year than it did on the road. I needed my old beater for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain

Even a wheelchair user may find it more convenient to wheel the two blocks, since entering and exiting a car with a wheelchair takes time.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

In defence of short drives to work, some of us just carry too much stuff (tools, PPE's and clothing) to walk it to work.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Of course not. Save yourself a lot of money and walk the two blocks.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Get a wheeled bag. All the money that you save on gas, maintenance and insurance will more than pay off the bag.

---------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Same here. One place I worked, if I got there at 8:05am I would have to park at least half-way back in the back lot. Then walk around the building to one of the doors. (they should have had a door to the building in this area, but didn't for some reason) It was far enough that they had a *BUS* to carry people from the back lot to the front doors. I only used it when the weather was bad and it was there when I got out of my car. Otherwise I walked.

Reply to
Brent P

Well, mine is more than two blocks, it more like 7 kms.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

I am a service tech and need to carry enough gear I can only fit one passenger.

I don't care if my job is two houses away, I have to drive.

Mike

Mike Romain

the obvious answer is get a bike. :)

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Most folks don't carry that much to work, so for a short commute it makes most sense to walk. For others, like yourself, a vehicle that can carry their gear is a necessity.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Remember that in L.A., you're considered a "moron" by a some social standards when you walk two blocks to work or cross LA's busiest intersection. America isn't exactly Europe. Europeans keep their towns small and tidy for walking purposes.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

If there is any kind of a winter at all where you live, all your car will be doing for months at a time is cold starting, stop and go while cold, warming up just a teensy bit and then freezing it's ass off. That seems pretty rough to me. If at all possible you should walk/bike to work or buy some kind of dedicated short commute vehicle like a moped (if you feel safe doing so and weather permitting) to replace the tempo. Your savings will be significant. If you need absolutely need to keep an around town car, and your insurance rates don't suffer, I'd use the tempo until it dies before subjecting your new vehicle to those conditions if you want it to last 10 years.

Sure newer engine technology and better fluids can ease stress from these types of conditions but this type of use will always be harder than other types.

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.