old style fuel injector?

I need a fuel injector for my 71 VW fastback.

i dont care about the flow specs as the stock computer is full of adjustments. I just need a cheap set.

anyone seen this (bosch?) fuel injector style with a rubber hose? on any car? (interchange) anyone know where i could get a set of 4 rebuilt ones?

Reply to
Erik Litchy

That'd be Bosch D-Jetronic, the first commercially *successful* electronic fuel injection system. You can get very affordable "rebuilt" (everything new except the metal housing) injectors from NAPA. They are NOT all the same, and flow rate DOES matter, and I'm not sure what kinds of "adjustments" you think the computer is full of.

Worry about the manifold pressure sensor. They are application (make, model, year, engine, emission package, transmission) specific, cannot be replaced by any modern MAP sensor, cannot be successfully rebuilt, and list price on D-Jet MPS units has gone systematically from $200 to $1300 as Bosch stock is depleted. That means "We might build you one if you pay us $1300 and wait several months. Or we might not".

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I’ve seen this one at the salvage yard. A German or Swedish car perhaps. Perhaps Mercedes (don’t know year, pre ‘80?)

Most injectors fit without big modifications. The hard part is getting the computer to do the correct flow pulse width or getting the injectors spray a correct distance. You ought to find one that match your desired flow rate, disperse pattern, and ignore the rubber hoses, since you can fit your own hoses. Or go collect some identical used ones and do what I do:

I collect numerous injectors & recondition them (reverse, forward 120 psi w/ cleaners). Then they are tested, categorized and stored within fuel. Koji

Reply to
Koji San

Repeat: I`ve seen this one at the salvage yard. A German or Swedish car perhaps. Perhaps Mercedes (don`t know year, pre `80?)

Most injectors fit without big modifications. The hard part is getting the computer to do the correct flow pulse width or getting the injectors spray a correct distance. You ought to find one that match your desired flow rate, disperse pattern, and ignore the rubber hoses, since you can fit your own hoses. Or go collect some identical used ones and do what I do:

I collect numerous injectors & recondition them (reverse, farward 100 psi w/ cleaners). Then they are tested, categorized and stored within fuel. Koji

Reply to
Koji San

yes the pressure sensor is entirely too mechanical for my liking, but i heard they are not very failure prone. i will ask napa.

Reply to
Erik Litchy