Old Toyota Truck

Hi,

Want to buy an old Toyota 4wd. Focusing now on 1983-1985, Seems like 1985 was the last fixed front axle. Any gotchas I should watch for when I am picking one out?

Thanks,

Vic

----------------------------------------------------------------- google groups are blocked copy_paste_to_the_command_line_for_email_address perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100egral.ta.resu/"

me at

RUST. I don't know where you live, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Toyota pickup that old, and I do recall when seeing them that they tended to rust badly. Usually along the seams on the bed sides first for some reason.

If you live in Arizona this may not be an issue for you.

nate

Reply to
N8N

N8N wrote in news:6cab8881-f482-44b7-9639- snipped-for-privacy@e8g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

You mean, like this?

Reply to
Tegger

Last Sunday when I went to the Lowe's store, I saw a nice looking 1964 (fixed axel/single front axel) Ford pickup truck over there.I would rather have one of those than an old Toyota truck. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

My backup, hobby, favorite, truck that I wish I could drive all of the time, is my 1971 chevy 3/4 ton 4WD. But the kid is looking for something with better mileage and will be easier to park in the city.

Is rec.auto.4x4 dead? I posted this there a few days agon and no responses.

Reply to
me at

me at wrote in news:4da5c62d$0$10561$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

It looks like over half of my car groups have died the lack of use, death, the last 6 months. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Instead of washing them, OIL them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

RUST!!!!! And then, RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

THe motors will go forever. Either carb'd or FI (FI is great, BTW)

Check it for RUST!!!!!!!! I had one that was bought new by my stepfather. In 1990 he couldn't drive any more and gave it to me. It started bucking going up any hill at all, so I went to pull the fuel filter. It's at the tank on the trucks. I got down to look and saw I was loooking THROUGH something metal. I knew the bed was bad, but I didn't think it was rotted through.

I went to the other side of the truck, and got on my hands and knees. The bed was OK (surface rust). What I was looking through was the FRAME!! Right where it doglegs up over the rear axle. My wife said her brother could weld it. I told her her brother could HAVE it...

Only 125,000 miles...the Junkyard I sold it to used it for a yard truck for a few months and then the frame snapped.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have seen two here in Mass, one '85 and one '86 in MINT condition... both oiled...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Is that like that Back to the Future Toyota 4x4 pickup truck? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yeah! That's it!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Pretty much. Toyota made some really good cars; problem was, they all rotted out long before the mechanicals gave way...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Watch out for head gasket problems... look for a rust stain on the drivers side of the block

Sloppy timing chain... look for the distributer advanced to the end of the adjustment slot

Worn out carb's... beware a high or rough idle, or both

HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932