Olds Cutlass Cierra Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Took my 1983 2 liter 4 cyl TBI gutless, about 100k miles, in to the GM dealership for sticky throttle response (sometimes too fast of idle, sometimes throttle sticking partial open).

Diagnosis so far: bad PCV valve and cracked exhaust manifold. Hmmmm. Same dealer replaced a cracked exhaust manifold on this car about 5 years and 40k miles ago. Car is driven as freeway commuter, no towing or hard driving.

What would cause a cracked exhaust manifold? Does this engine model have a reputation for cracked manifolds? Does a cracked exhaust manifold have anything to do with a sticking throttle? Is it time to run from this dealership?

TNX,

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

Is the manifold cast or formed from sheet? I know that the formed sheetmetal manifolds used on the 2.5 four cylinders have a reputation for cracking.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I don't know for certain, as the view of that manifold is somewhat obstructed, and of course, the vehicle is now still sitting in the dealer's shop. But that's the engine all right. If I get another new manifold, is there anything that can be done at installation to minimize the possibility of future cracking?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

Not much. I just get them from the wrecking yards for my 2.5 Phoenix now, generally for $15-20, and it takes about 45 minutes to replace it. I did find that the older versions of the Duke (that's the name of the 2.5) without fuel injection had cast iron manifolds, but no provision for an oxygen sensor. At some point I'll change out to the cast one and I'll have to weld a bung into the exhaust pipe just below the manifold to install the O2 sensor.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan