Olds tranny in buick?

I have a 1990 Buick LeSabre with a 3800 v6. The car will not move in any forward gear - only reverse. I do believe the transmission has seen better days.

A friend of mine has a 1996 Olds cutlass with a 3100 v6. The car has been totaled, but the engine & tranny are mine for the taking.

Does anyone know if this swap is easily accomplished? If major fabrication is required, I'll keep looking, but I'm hoping it will bolt in...

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

The Buick probably used the transmission referred to , in those days, as the

440T4 and later called the 4T60

The Olds probably uses the 4T60E

Found this for you:

"The 440T4 or 4T60 is the first generation of transversly oriented 4 speed automatic transaxle. It was used in GM mid and full size vehicles until about 1990. It only requires manifold vacuum to the modulator valve and throttle input via the throttle valve cable to operate. Both are adjustable for shift quality. Torque converter lockup is controlled by the ECM, or aftermarket kits are available for vehicles without a computer. The 4T60 was replaced by the 4T60E. The 4T60E is shifted electronicly using solenoids controlled by the ECM. It still has a vacuum modulator, but the TV cable is eliminated. It will not operate without computer control, therefore it can only be used with an engine that was originally equipped with a 4T60E. "

Reply to
Larry Smith