Oldsmobile Silhouette 4t60e rebuild

I just had the unfortunate experience of having the transmission on my

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette go out at 96k miles. For the last 2-3 months, it had shown signs of trouble (short delays engaging into gear), but no slipping. The local transmission shop did a full fluid flush about 1500 miles ago, and now says it's a $3000-3500 job to rebuild it. I know the 4t60e isn't the best transmission in the world, but I'm having trouble accepting the cost. I see remanufactured ones on the web for about $1200. But he also says it's a 9 hour job just to get the transmission out. 9 Hours! Is that reasonable? I would think if a had a hoist, I could pull the whole engine/transmission out in half that time (then again I've never pulled a transverse mounted engine either, so maybe he's telling the truth? Anyways, I need some advice and/or reasonable estimate for this job.

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
danbo

way to much money i would pull it myself and trade it in on a rebuild trans at your local shop . dont forget the torque converter

Reply to
tudysmuck

Does anyone have the mechanics reference (forget what it's called) that lists hours for repairs. I can't believe the book calls for 9 hours just on the removal of the 4t60e.

thanks,

-danbo

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
danbo

Reply to
Shep

In my experience book time is usually high by 50% or more. In fact, I believe that only the most inexperienced and franky slow mechanic would come close to book times for almost all labor jobs .

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan