on-demand AWD bullshit

On demand all-wheel drive used by Hyundai, VW et al for their SUV. One of the claims is that this saves fuel! How so? The SUV is running as FWD while on bitumen roads. But the rear diff has hypoid gear, and still turns although decoupled from gearbox. And that hypoid gear is one of the biggest frictional losses.

Reply to
pedro1492

Methane generation from the male bovine excrement.

Reply to
T0m $herman

My 1948 Willys Jeep has 4 wheel drive. Two shift levers, one of the levers is for engaging and disengaging 4 wheel drive. Front wheel lock out hubs are available nowadays for a little bit better fuel economy.

Reply to
JR

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news:7901e15c-9c75-4e20-b806- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Perhaps the claim is that "on demand" saves fuel relative to "full time" AWD?

Reply to
Tegger

One of those Alaska TV reality shows. That guy riding his horse. He said the horse is a real ATV. He is right too.

Reply to
JR

JR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Except that he's not AWD, he's ALD.

Reply to
Tegger

When I used to drive a bread, truck sometimes I would see an elderly couple in an old pickup truck. They had two wooden homemade signs on their pickup truck. The sign on the front said GIDDY UP GO, and the sign on the rear sa id WE JUST WENT. A Horse can go places that no mechanical ATV can go.

Reply to
JR

Problem is when some moron takes too steep of a turn on wet grass while galloping. There you have an "ATV" that's out of commission for a good chunk of a season x-ray pending :-[

The fracture was way too high in her case for cast to be useful leaving the creature untethered while it healed. Thankfully local gypsies had better things to do at the moment than to steal my horse.

It mostly uses the rear legs for propulsion (I guess that validates BMW/Porsche approach to AWD. Thankfully on-demand==too-late is missing in their commercials for now).

Though awd engages late on 325xi (or so I've heard) it's reportedly is not nearly as irritating as on the run of the mill fwd bases P.O.S. OP was bitching about.

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC