one for the archives

failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never buy their crappy product.

now you see a gap:

now you don't:
seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/ facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

Reply to
jim beam

Plugs have been left in engine too long. Replace with new plugs in the same heat range.

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

No failure is visible. No information you've provided suggests a manufacturing failure.

You said it. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Looks like the electrode was machined small OR the top of it was formed wrong (the top looks like a nail head normally) Could also be that the bonding agent they use to seal the insulator to the electrode failed and allowed combustion heat into the core.

Reply to
Steve W.

You need to get your glasses fixed. In the first picture the center electrode is in place. In the second one it has slid down and shorted the gap. NOT something that is good. Shorting out many newer ignition systems results in burnt out coils or blown ignition controls.

Reply to
Steve W.

could well be. my guess is that the resistor that's supposed to reside between the "nail head" and the rest of the conductive core has either burned away or was never inserted. whatever the reason, it's totally unimpressive.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted upsdie down. If you do, there is a recall notice and the dealer will invett if for you, if you are the original owner.

Reply to
micky

even if you don't have any at the present, you need to look up "spacial reasoning" and see if you can find some exercises which will help you develop this crucial ability. particularly if you're planning on having anything to do with 3-dimensional objects.

Reply to
jim beam

You're blind. The electrode is loose in the porcelain.

Of course we always knew you were an idiot, but now even the n00bs can see first hand.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

ITYM "right side up." A huge gap isn't generally a problem except under heavy load. No gap results in no combustion.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You make a good point. Maybe he NEEDS to have his engine mounted upside down. He'll have to pay for it, but it shoudln't be too much.

Reply to
micky

Hey, I"m workin gon 4 and 5 dimensional objects now. -)

Reply to
micky

The base electrode is way worn.. I'd guess the plug has 30 or 40,000 miles on it? I have seen this failure mode numerous times on a variety of plugs.

BTW, the deposits look pretty thick... are you running cheap gas? Autolites are not my personal choice, but my opinion is that the plug was left in way too long.

HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

which ones? have you ever seen it on ngk?

i'd need a diamond wheel to section this plug and examine it properly, but i'd be interested to research this failure. spark plugs are largely "old technology", so it would be interesting to see if this has been implemented as part of a life limitation program to keep sales ticking along.

no idea what the owner is running. all i know is that it's largely a town car, so it doesn't get warmed to freeway temperature - where cleaning best happens - very often.

it's a girlfriend's car. basically, it only gets attention when something stops working. it's a [stereotypical] m.o. i'm sure you've seen many times.

Reply to
jim beam

Ford is, or was, working on laser technology to replace spark plugs. cuhulin

Reply to
J R