One wheel is almost touching the front fender. The mechanic shop said because the lower control arm has problems?

So I went to a mechanic shop to check this problem. But they said the lower control arm was racked before so I need to repair this first, otherwise the wheel will move forward again. And because engine cradle was connected to the lower control arm, engine cradle has to be replaced as well, together they will cost me $2000!

When I bought this used car (Mazda 6) 6 month ago, another mechanical shop said the lower control arm was racked but repaired very well.

Will the lower control arm really cause the wheel problem? Or the mechanic shop was bluffing?

Thanks ahead.

Reply to
Shawn C

A faulty lower control arm will not only cause the wheel problem. It will also destroy the tires in short order and could very easily fail while your driving the vehicle. That usually causes a LOT of damage.

If the arm has been broken and welded or bent and straightened I would replace it. If it has damaged the engine cradle then you may need to repair/replace it as well. Without seeing it myself it's hard to say.

Reply to
Steve W.

It seems the lower control arm must be replaced. I will take my car to another mechanic shop, see what they will say, whether I need to replace the engine cradle as well.

Thank you!

Reply to
Shawn C

Look.. If you can find a frame shop, go there and see what they say. A frame shop has the equipment to bend and straighten the entire darn car if necessary. They can replace or straighten what is needed.

Reply to
HLS