Only one tire wearing excessively HELP

On the front of my Mercury Viliager minivan (front wheel drive), the drivers side tire is wearing excessively. I replaced the tire 5,000 miles ago and now it is shot again. It wears on the inside about a 2-2 1/2 in. strip . The front passenger side is just fine and isn't even showing any wear and the tires were put on the same day. What is wrong with the front driver side ? Is it something that I can adjust , I hate to pay for an alignment job but I guess if I can't fix it myself then I will. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Well, I'd certainly guess you've got alignment troubles. Could be due to either a 'way-off alignment adjustment or a worn-out or bent-up part that affects the alignment (be it a suspension part per se or something that these parts attach to).

Was an alignment done along with the new tires? I've certainly seen tire shops screw up an alignment in this way, and yes, the overloaded edge can wear out in 5,000 miles or even less. (Clown who did that to me didn't fully torque the lug nuts, either! The manager gave me two new tires as well as free re-alignment, and identified someone who was having a better day to perform these tasks the second time.)

Had your car been in an accident, or run up on the curb hard or something like that?

It is possible to align a front end oneself without a machine, but the skill and patience required is such that most people just take it to a shop that has a machine. Look for local references so you get a shop that has the competence and honesty to diagnose and fix a potential front-end hard-parts problem, should they end up scratching their heads with respect to making it hold alignment and have to look for wear or damage instead.

Best of luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

You need an alignment. This is a case of penny wise and pound foolish...

Reply to
JimV

either a bad wheel bearing cocking, should hear a lot of noise . or a major camber problem. take it to an alignment shop. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

The poster doesn't state mileage. You have to suspect a worn part there, especially with no grease fitting. Lubbed for life means 50K these days. The problem should be real obvious and should have been diagnosed when the first tire became worn.

Reply to
MaxAluminum