Opinions on 90s Mercedes C230s (w202)

My mom is thinking of buying a 1997 Mercedes C230 sedan that a coworker is selling to replace her current car (a 1997 Jetta). I saw the Mercedes - there isn't much wrong with it other than the fact that the left rear power window doesn't work. The engine compartment looks relatively easy to work on (2.3L 4-cyl, sort of like a Volvo B230). OTOH, the amount of electronics in the car is frightening - power driver seat, 5-speed auto tranny with 3 modes, electronic folding headrests(!), and a HVAC control panel with an LCD and many buttons. I prefer the simpler designs of my 88 Volvo 240 and her Jetta - less to break. (However, having another RWD car in the family is always a good thing ;)

Any opinions on the 90s C220/230 w202-platform cars? Most of the reviews I've read have said "good solid car, but nothing too special.

Thanks,

-A.

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

That was the first year of the electronic 5 speed, they were somewhat problematic. 96 and before had the vacuum actuated 4 speed, which is pretty much bullet-proof. The window could be either the switch or the regulator, not terribly expensive to get fixed. Have a qualified Mercedes mechanic inspect it before buying, though. A poorly maintained Benz can get to be awfully expensive. A well maintained one can be surprisingly affordable.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

| > Any opinions on the 90s C220/230 w202-platform cars?

My mum had a '94 C200, best feature is its battery is far fr engine & gets no heat. Rear pillars are broad : reversing w/o hitting some1 is very difficult & slow unless u fit a video camera & LCD screen. Doors have no key slots : cannot be locked w/o remote control. Coolant has no overflow bottle. Aircon's cooling coil is deep inside dashboard : very difficult to replace. Idling @1000rpm is too high : wastes petrol, car dashes forward as soon as gear is engaged. Quieter than my sm4 accord. Nothing fantastic to make me give up 4ws which I love.

Reply to
TE Cheah