(OT) June 6

I dont mean to be off topic, June 6, 1941 was a very important day, a very important day to keep in mind today.

National D-Day Museum New Orleans Louisiana cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I don't mean to be contrary, but I think you mean June 6, 1945.

However, worthy of note is that on June 4, 1941, the British took control of Mosul, Iraq and set up a pro-British government there.

clifto

D-Day in France was in 1944. By June 1945 the war in Europe was over (ran until August in the Pacific).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well, I am blaming my typo on my keyboard. Of course it was June 6,1941.How could I forget that? I was born on November 5,1941 and I was told it was so bad World War Two broke out a month later. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It's an unwritten Usenet rule that each article correcting other articles' misteaks has to include at least one misteak of its own.

Pity, I can't even claim my fingers are fat.

Reply to
clifto

Huh?

Germany touched off WWII - Sept 1, 1939 by invading Poland. France falls May/June of 1940. Japan drags US into war by bombing Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. Allies invade France on June 6, 1944. Germany Surrenders May 7/ May 8, 1945. Japan surrenders Aug 15 (Japan) / Aug

14 (US), 1945 after we nuked them twice.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

George Hayduke wrote some books.Such as, The Book of Dirty Tricks and a few other books.I used to have a Book of Dirty Tricks book here.There is an article in the book where he said there was a German prison at the Germany and Polish border and the people who ran that prison dressed up some Geman prisoners in Polish uniforms and they injected some skopedal (I think that is the way it is spelled in that book, skopedal, a drug) into some of the Geman prisoners (dressed in Polish uniforms) and the prison set them free.The prisoners started attacking the prison and the prison guard people fired on the prisoners.

I dont know if that is true or not. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sounds like the "Canned Goods" exercise.

From Wikipedia:

Much of what is known about the Gleiwitz incident comes from the sworn affidavit of Alfred Naujocks at the Nuremberg Trials. According to his testimony, the incident was organised by Naujocks under orders from Reinhard Heydrich and Heinrich Müller, the chief of the Gestapo.

On the night of August 31, 1939 a small group of German operatives led by Naujocks seized the Gleiwitz station and broadcast a message in Polish that urged the Poles living in Silesia to strike against Germans. The Germans' goal was to make the attack and the broadcast look like the work of anti-German Polish saboteurs.

In order to make the attack scene more convincing, the Germans brought in Franciszek Honiok, a German Silesian known for sympathizing with the Poles, who had been arrested the previous day by the Gestapo. Honiok was dressed to look like a saboteur; then killed by lethal injection, given gunshot wounds, and left dead at the scene, so that he appeared to have been killed while attacking the station. His corpse was subsequently presented as proof of the attack to the police and press.

In addition to Honiok, several other convicts were kept available for this purpose. The Germans referred to them by the code phrase "Konserve" ("canned goods"). For this reason some sources incorrectly refer to the incident as "Operation Canned Goods".

Marv

Reply to
Marv Soloff

I find it interesting that that event is not on any of my calendars. It used to be. Political correctness I guess.

Reply to
PauL