OT What happens to unsold cars?

My friend and I had a couple of brews and got into a conversation of what happens to unsold cars. Robert Heinlein wrote a story called "Door Into Summer" where a man gets frozen and is woken 30 years later. He gets a job crushing up cars...basically car bodies without motors the car mfgs made....cars made for makework. I doubt we are in that economic model in that story.

If I went to the car lots a few months ago there'd be a bunch of 2006 models. Now the 2007 models come in. I'm sure a bunch of the 2006s left on the lot get sold to fleets. But what happens to the 2006s that don't get sold? Then the 2008 models come out. There's still those

2006 models that remain unsold.

Is there a place in the plains, like a huge car graveyard, where the unsold models go? Something like the mothballed aircraft in Tucson? People buy new cars or used cars...but in this case a 2006 car amoung

2008 models that hasn't been sold is not new (or considered new) and it is not used.

Do some of these cars go into storage, saved as museum pieces?

I asked another friend that is into cars yesterday this same question and he too has wondered what happens to unsold cars. Maybe one of you know.

Reply to
salad

Can you say "Hello, auction-house"? Sure, I knew you could...

*SOMEBODY* will buy them, if the price is low enough. Thing is, for situations like you describe, "if the price is low enough" frequently also means "And now up for bid is lot number 1704 - a total of 417 assorted new and/or test-driven 2006 model Chevys returned from dealer lots around the country. As usual, buyer is responsible for all shipping to his desired destination, and the lot goes as a single unit only - hope you brought your fleet of car-carriers, or a whole bunch of drivers, boys! Now, who'll start the bidding at 30 grand?"

(Ever wonder how you can sometimes go to a used car lot, and without there being any "hanky-panky", get a car that's only got like 3K on the odometer? That 3K probably came from being driven from auction to auction until the used lot got it, then to the lot.)

Reply to
Don Bruder

salad wrote in news:8nqyh.21785$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Chrysler has something similar. It's called the "sales bank". The cars don't get crushed, they just sit in a big lot in a rail yard somewhere and rust for a year before going to auction.

Auctions get rid of them. Anything will sell for the right price.

If you visit some used car dealers, you'll discover there are a certain percentage of them that have some unusually new cars that appear to have no collision damage or significant mileage. Those are the unsold ones. The used cars dealers picked them up cheap at auction.

It's part of the reason the domestics are in trouble. Honda and Toyota can't even keep them on the lot, much less have to make them sit in "sales banks".

Reply to
Tegger

About five months ago,a Ford dealership near me went out of business.Of course they had a lot of brand new 2006 cars and trucks and vans and suvs and also a used car lot too.Did the new 2006 vehicles go to auction? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:16405-45CA5C6A-153@storefull-

3257.bay.webtv.net:

Can't you ever quote the post you're replying to? Damn that stupid Web-TV.

To answer your question, maybe, maybe not. The dealership would have been making payments to Ford on those cars. Ford may have simply repossessed the vehicles and got rid of them themselves, either by offering them to other dealers or auctioning them.

Reply to
Tegger

Thank you all for your feedback. I never considered auctions. A couple of other people I know will appreciate the update.

Reply to
salad

I would think that the percentage of new cars which go unsold would be very small. They can just drop the price and sell them. Actually the prices of 2007 models are already starting to go down.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw