OTC Genisys Smart Cards - 1 Tool Only?

Wondering if anyone has actually tried using a smart card in more than 1 tool.

OTC tech support says it will work in only 1 tool, but there is nothing in print to confirm this nor have I personally spoken with someone who has tried it and failed.

Related - I have a 2003 Grand Caravan. I'm using Pathfinder 2004. Anyone using Pathfinder USA 2005 or 2006 on a similar vehicle that can say weather the newer software provides any more coverage? Pathfinder 2004 coverage is lame - just DTC codes for most of the modules outside of the powertrain - no data or special tests.

- Nate

Reply to
Dll

And OTC sales can't help?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Ted Mittelstaedt"

Not really. They say what modules they have "coverage" for, but that coverage varies from simply DTCs to OEM special tests. Their customer service is actually pretty lame - little more than repeating info that's on their website.

Also looking for someone who themselves has tried and gotten an error with the Smart Card.

- Nate

Reply to
Dll

Oh, God no! Have you had the pleasure of a Genisys discussion with their tech "help" or phone sales? The old monitor 4000 was pretty decent in it's day. Creating a single tool that can do everything decently with minimum bugginess is getting harder each year. With the multiple lines that Genisys attempts to cover OTC has a difficult task. Unfortunately, it appears that they have chosen not to be up to that task, yet they still produce a piece of crap tool that needs to be exchanged rather than upgraded to get to any new level of coverage. With any exchange or attempt to add new software, tons of glitches have proven to be the norm. Poor coverage is a secondary issue, but I feel that's a 'get what you pay for' issue, and I don't blame them since the tool is designed as a lower cost all-makes scanner solution.

But to chime in on the Smart Card question, I think that all models of Smart Card are designed for the one machine that they were sold with. If you get an upgrade I believe that you get a new Smart Card or have yours flashed/exchanged by OTC, rendering the old one useless in any case. Again, might as well buy a whole new kit for every "upgrade". The introduction of System 2.0 really screwed that pooch.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish