oval track spring question

I know there's a couple of racers on here, maybe you can help me understand why all the books and all the experts recommend a stiffer LR spring over the RR? They say do it, but never say why.

I always see stuff like: LF: 1100 RF: 1300 LR: 200 RR: 175

The car is a Camaro on dirt btw (rear leafs)

Is the stiffer LR partly to compensate/work with the extra stiff RF?

The reason I ask is my Camaro came with a "helper" spring on the RR, and now I'm considering removing it or swapping it to the LR.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Built in wedge. Also helps you kick the tail out when taking the corners.

Reply to
Steve W.

It tightens the car up significantly when you get back on the throttle. The stiffer left rear spring gives you a crossweight increase when weight is transferred to the back. Thus the car can be set up loose enough to turn well on entry and mid-turn, but hook up and haul ass with much less wheel spin when you are pointed towards the straightaway.

I like it and run 75 lbs split.

Don

IStock 51 racer

Reply to
Don

thanks guys. This sounds like this will help the occasional wild wiggle I get coming off turn 4.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Absolutely.