over-rev/stall

I recently (within the last two weeks) bought an '85 Tercel, 5 speed Man with just under 100K miles. I was just beginning to like the car and it quit on me! It's been back-firing the whole time, but i don't know enough to know if that's a related problem. It starts fine but begins revving and stalling (alternating) like it's not getting gas, or air, or something. I've sat in it for five minutes trying to coax it into maintaining a steady idle to no avail. The only indication i had that anything was about to go wrong (a day or two before this problem started this happened once) is that it would over rev when i first started it, but that was easily fixable by simply tapping the gas, then it would assume a normal idle. I'd let it sit and warm up then drive away without a problem. Now, two weeks later, i can't drive it because it stalls. Does anyone out there have a suggestion? Please??

Reply to
partley

I know this sounds nuts, but before you do anything else, check the coolant level in the radiator...the older ones would surge up and down when the motor was cold if the coolant level was low enough to be surging over the temp sensor...

You said '85...that wasn't a typo, was it? Because it makes a huge difference if it's a '95....just couldn't imagine where you'd find an '85 with under 100K

Reply to
jeffcoslacker