Overheating problem?fan belt snapped...helppp.

Overheating problem?fan belt snapped...helppp.

Hello, i have a ford fiesta 93 LX ,and i was driving yesterday to pick my girlfriend from the airport. .. i was going quite fast about 90 mph for an old car like this ..Suddenly the battery indicator flashed .. i was in the middle of nowhere so i thought that if i continue driving, the only thing that it might happen is that the car will die because it will be out of battery ..and i have better changes to fix it if i can get to a garage or in the next exit .instead of stopping in the highway . After going for about 4 miles i realized that heating stopped coming from the car and when i was accelerating i could hear a noise from the engine like something is happening inside .. i continued for about 12 miles and then the noise became extreme and then smoke start coming out from the car and then i stopped... I was waited for the AA guy for about an hour and he said that he cant repair it ..and he thinks that the fan belt snapped and also that the battery cannot be charged or something. Before he comes i tried to start the car just to see if i could and the oil and battery indicator were on and there was a weird sound but the car wouldn't start .. i have the car outside a garage and i am going there tomorrow to ask them ..how much will be to repair it and what is the problem .. what do u people think that it might have happened? any ideas how much will it cost to be fixed approximately? is it possible that i caused permanent engine failure???

I learned to stop when the first warning appears..i just hope that the car will work again..

Thanks Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80

Did you not just say the FAN BELT SNAPPED? If the fan belt is also turning the water pump, as in serpentine belt, then you overheated your engine.

I've never seen a ford fiesta period, so I don't know what your belt arrangement is. But if it was a serpentine belt and it blew, you lost your alternator AND your water pump. And you overheated your engine to the point that "smoke started coming out from the car."

One look under the hood should tell the tale. Did you look under the hood?

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Ivan, I'm afraid you turned what would have been a $75 repair into an engine rebuild that far exceeds the value of the car. Please post back on what the final diagnosis is.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I think that what happened is that your serpentine belt snapped. You lost the alternator, and you also lost the fan and the water pump. The engine overheated horribly and melted down into slag inside. You abused the car and destroyed it. Now you will have to buy a new one.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

$75 dollar? Try $15 for a belt if you do it yourself. What a waste, even if it was a throw-away car.

Reply to
Steve

All of which may protect the likes of the rest of us, if he were driving at 90 mph near the airport.

I have no tolerance for people like this.

Reply to
<HLS

You destroyed your car, which is probably good considering that YOU are the very reason the driver fatality rate is 10 times higher for males under 24 years of age. 90mph on the interstate? You asshole. You might think you're invincible, but the poor family in the car you run off the road and kill sure as hell isn't.

I'm glad you melted down your engine block, and I hope you don't drive another car for 5 years.

Thanks for making America's roadways so dangerous, and making my insurance premium so god damned high.

And I'm only 24.

"Young car drivers accounted for 37% of all car drivers killed" "The road accident fatality rate - the number killed in road accidents per 100,000 population - was much higher for those aged 18-24 (30) than for any other age cohort." "young male drivers are 9 times more likely to be at fault than older drivers with the same driving experience" " Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death in people age 16 to 20." "People age 16 to 20 have the highest traffic-related fatality rate of any age group." "People age 16 to 20 make up only 6 percent of American drivers and drive only 3 percent of all miles driven. Yet they are involved in 15 percent of traffic deaths." "A 16-year-old driver is 20 times as likely to have a traffic accident as the general population" "A quarter (22 percent) of Americans who died in speed-related crashes were youth (15-20). And yet they represent just 6 percent of the total driving population." "young drivers have more accidents than any other age group"

Reply to
Jon C

One of the better trolls.......

==

Reply to
SlipperySlope

oh fer chrissakes... how do you know he wasn't in a place where the speed limit was 90 - he never said he was speeding? (Like maybe he wasn't in the USA?) And it's a FORD FIESTA. The only way one of those can do 90 is if they get rear ended by a real car doing 100.

I'll agree the OP doesn't appear to be very bright. The good news is he's walking for a while.

Ray

Reply to
ray

The question should be: Will you replace it with another Fiesta? Ummmm, odore of troll. 12 miles at 90mph and a bright red dash.

Reply to
wwsjr

Perhaps Ivan's "girlfriend" could have changed it for him. I don't think Ivan would have been up to it. I have never paid anyone to install a belt before, but around here, $75 is the going price installed.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Let me get this straight. You were going 90 mph, the battery light came on, you kept driving for four miles at that speed and some noises came from the engine and you drove for another 12 miles before stopping. I find it unlikely that such a small high revving engine could run for 16 miles (12 + 4) at high speed with no cooling.

For some reason this story has a familiar ring to it...as in it was posted about 6 months ago? I'm beginning to smell troll.

Reply to
John S.

He said he was waiting for the AA guy. (Alcoholics Anonymous?). Or maybe American Airlines...

I don't really think a Furd Fistula could freefall from a C-130 at 100 mph, but if he managed to get 90 mph out of it on the autobahn, he has a deathwish.

Reply to
<HLS

You do know that American Airlines occasionally lands at airports that aren't in the USA, right? :)

I'm just baiting you now, the OP is definitely a retard. And not just for buying a Ferd Fiesta in the first place.

Reply to
news

Don't think Ford even made a Fiesta in '93--at least in US. Try finding one in NADA.com. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

'He thinks the fan belt snapped'???? I hope he isn't the guy fixing your car. It takes very little time and effort to check that.

What probably happened is that you broke the alternator belt. As you surmised, you could probably drive for a litle while with a dead alternator. What probably happened next is that your battery voltage started to drop as you drove the car. That meant that the radiator fan started to go slower and slower. Since you were going so fast, the cooling system could not get rid of the heat fast enough and you over heated your car. You probably warped the head and/or damaged the head gasket. Cost will probably be under $1000, but over $500. It depends on the extent of the damage caused by the overheating.

------------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I left the car to a ford dealer to be repaired and they called me today and they told me that it didnt have no oil (oil indicator didnt alert me :-( ) no water and that the fan belt snapped..they changed the fan belt and they replaced the oil but they told me ,that the car needs new engine there is a leak of oil from the excaust ?So is not convinient for me to repair it i guess :-( /

Now probably i will sell it for parts or scrap it ..thanks everyone that replied .

Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80

I left the car to a ford dealer to be repaired and they called me today and they told me that it didnt have no oil (oil indicator didnt alert me :-( ) no water and that the fan belt snapped..they changed the fan belt and they replaced the oil but they told me ,that the car needs new engine there is a leak of oil from the excaust ?So is not convinient for me to repair it i guess :-( /

Now probably i will sell it for parts or scrap it ..thanks everyone that replied .

Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80

I left the car to a ford dealer to be repaired and they called me today and they told me that it didnt have no oil (oil indicator didnt alert me :-( ) no water and that the fan belt snapped..they changed the fan belt and they replaced the oil but they told me ,that the car needs new engine there is a leak of oil from the excaust ??? So there is no point for me to repair it i guess :-( /

Now probably i will sell it for parts or scrap it ..thanks everyone that replied .

Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80

sorry to hear about your bad luck, Ivan. Myself, I check under the hood for fluid levels, this and that, almost all the time. The more I hear stories like yours, the more paranoid I get.

Time for a new/used car for you. Millions to choose from. Good Luck.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman