Overheating problem - looking for suggestion

guys,

I posted this problem on this news group a while back. Now I have additional information but I have yet to find a solution to this problem.

I have a Mercury Tracer 1988 that has an overheating problem. The problem is due to the lack of coolant flowing thru the system. I have removed the thermostat from the system for the sake of testing. When the engine runs, there is no coolant flowing thru the upper hose (from the engine to the radiator). I know this because I disconnected the hose and absolutely nothing comes out (while engine runs).

I thought that it was either a bad water pump or some internal blockage. I removed the water pump and it looks good (the water pump had been replaced

6 months ago). I tested the flow in the system by connected the garden hose to the radiator hose. It seems that water flows without any restriction thru the engine block and radiator. A good friend of mine (who has more automotive experience) told me that it could be an internal blockage that prevents a region of the engine block to be cooled down even though the flow is not overall restricted because it by-passes "the blocked region" somehow (maybe thru the heater core bypass).

What should I do next ?

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Sheehy

Take the waterpump back and get the right one?

There are a lot of engines out there that use 'reverse rotation' waterpumps. I see this usually on serpentine belt engines.

They also make a 'normal' rotation pump that fits on quite fine. But, it won't pump coolant out the top hose.

I also have seen a whole bunch of 'normal' pumps in the wrong box causing your symptoms.

Mike

Pierre Sheehy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

During my lunch break, I went to a different part store (Smyth) and I compare my water pump with theirs. They are identical. I guess that I could go to the Ford/Mercury dealer and check again.

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Sheehy