p1398 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

I need some help. I recently went for Inspection and Failed with the Trouble Code P1398. All of the research I did pointed to the Crankshaft Position Sensor. So I replaced it. Reset the Check Engine Light with a code scanner and then drove the Truck. a minute or so later the Check Engine Light came back on. I hooked my scanner back up and had the same code again. Is there another procedure that I missed? Is there something else that I need to look at besides the Crankshaft Position Sensor? Should I take the New one back and have it replaced? The engine does run rough and has been suffering from long starts.

I don't want to get rid of this truck so I'm trying to do the necessary work to get it back in shape. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
dsolecki

The rough running will set that code.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Doesn't that sucker have two CPS's?

One in the distributor and one on the bellhousing.

Mike

Mike Romain

P1398 Mis-Fire Adapter Numerator at Limit (Chrysler, Jeep)

Reply to
dahpater