P1457 Evap emissions code (Check Engine Light), worried about passing smog

I have over 220K miles on my 97 Accord. I am on the road and my check-engine-light lit up. I took it to Autozone for a read it came up as P1457. Autozone won't however reset it for me. I could be that the full-service attendents topped off my tank (you can't pump your own gas in Oregon). I retirghtened the gas cap. Its been over 48 hours, 20 or so stops and starts and the light it still on. My concern is that it won't pass California emissions, which I need to have done within the next couple of weeks. I would rather avoid a visit to my mechanic right now (this could be $$). Will an evap emissions fault prevent my car from passing a smog inspection? My guess is that they wont even test the car if the CEL is on. However, I could erase it right before I pull up and it may not trigger fast enough for the shop to catch it. Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

It could be as simple as the cap not being on correctly. OR it could be something else like a purge solenoid or valve failing. Your idea of erasing the code and then running it in for testing won't work. The system runs a bunch of tests that have to be completed before they will even test it. They can take a drive cycle or two before they set as complete. Run it a bit and see if the light shuts off.

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe on Hondas it take two drive cycles to check the evap system. A drive cycle is a start up from cold. 20 trips in 48 hours could possibly give you NO drive cycles.

Reply to
Steve Austin

"Steve W." wrote in news:f9h58h$38a$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

According to Honda, P1457 is the canister side, not the tank side. The tank side would be P1456.

If the light comes back on, a detailed troubleshooting guide can be found in Honda Service News issue A991200.

And seems to me the OP's idea just might work if CA uses a dyno instead of directly querying the OBD.

Reply to
Tegger