part time AWD with manual shift?

Are there any cars with part-time AWD -- or more accurately "momentary AWD" like the toyota rav4, or honda cr-v but with manual shift?

I currently have an all-time AWD car (a subaru). I enjoy the sure-footedness on slick road and on ocassional snow. But there are several things I don't like:

- poorer gas mileage

- more tire wear, I believe

- more exacting tires matching (tire circumferences need to be within 1/4 inch)

part time AWD seems like the perfect compromise. But I really don't like automatic which is the only choice for rav4 and cr-v. It cost more, not as fuel efficient, perhaps cause more brake wear, and is not as fun to drive.

Does part time AWD *require* it to be paired with automatic transmission?

Reply to
james