parts cleaner??

I have been advised that a good solution for parts cleaning is 1/2 mineral spirits and 1/2 water at used at room temp. Would a 5 gallon container be sufficient?? All comments welcome

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
KG

I dont agree that this is a good parts cleaner. Mineral spirits can vary in its composition and value as a solvent, but the water is there for the ride and will separate from the mineral spirits unless it is emulsified into this formula.. Even so, if it were emulsified into the formula, it would only be valuable if you have something on the parts that is water soluble,and in such a case there are better formulations, normally used in heated and pressure wash systems.

Some of the lab and shop parts washers use a solvent which is not exceedingly flammable nor extremely toxic. These are available from chemical distributors or in large quantities from petrochemical companies. They are good for oil soluble residues on the tools, but not for water soluble materials.

You need to know what you are going to be using this system for and how large the parts will be.

When I took automatic tranny classes some years ago, we had an open top drum of diesel in the garage that we used to clean the tranny parts. It worked well enough and was cheap enough.

We supplied a cleaning mixture for use by a Caterpillar agency which was a mixture of several inorganic chemicals. They had a heated pressure wash system, and this mixture, dissolved in water, left the parts clean and dry with no flash rusting. Some parts needed bead or media blasting to get them clean to the desired levels. As I remember it, the turbochargers were often pretty badly fouled but were easily cleaned mechanically.

Reply to
hls

Kerosene works, but it is Flammable.I don't advise using it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin