PCV Valve Location

more to the point, why are you considering replacing it after only 38k miles? unless you're running the car on bunker fuel, it never has oil changes and it never gets above 30°F, it's extremely unlikely for it to be blocked so soon.

Reply to
jim beam

Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon. Trying to find where the PCV valve is located. Have looked all over the engine compartment and haven't had any luck spotting it. 38,000 miles on the car and the Dealer recommended replacing it. Wants about $50 to replace the $5-7 part. Said not interested in replacement but then, out of curiosity, went looking for it--anyone know where it's hiding? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Toyota has a DIY guide with pictures on-line at

(or
) As it says,"On most vehicles, the PCV valve fits into a rubber grommet in the valve cover on top of the engine assembly and is connected to the air filter case by a hose."

On some models you may need to remove a cosmetic engine cover plate/panel to get to it.

Reply to
Reed

Maybe

Reply to
Gene

Not looking to replace--as noted, just got curious as to where it was located. Dealer also tried to sell me into replacing the air filter saying that it was dirty--Doubt if they even looked--it was replaced at their shop at 30,000 miles . Must be a favorite (profit) item as I heard them saying the same thing to at least two other people. MLD

Reply to
MLD

ok, that's my point - don't do something that's not necessary.

Reply to
jim beam

Check your air filter. If it looks dirty, replace it with a new one. Back i n the 1970s I was driving a 1962 Ford Falcon I had just bought. The engine quit running just as though I had switched it off. The air filter was clogg ed up. PCV valves can be cleaned out with carburetor cleaner. Do NOT let th at stuff get in your eyes! Believe you me, I know!

Reply to
JR