PCV Valve Screen in Ford 5.0 Liter

I've read a couple of items that say there is a screen ahead of the PCV valve that causes problems when it gets blocked.

I pulled the PCV valve from the valve cover and I removed the fitting that screws into the read of the intake manifold. I can't find a screen in either opening.

Which end of the "system" is this screen supposed to be? Valve cover or intake manifold?

Reply to
swimdad16

On our ford van the PCV filter was inside the air filter housing. The only way to see it was to open up the air filter assembly. It looked like a miniature version of the air cleaner element.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

On my "new" '93 mustang 5.0 convertible I bought a bunch of tune up parts including the pcv screen. I found it in the intake manifold, under the PCV valve. Take the grommet out and look into the intake. You may see a mesh plug that just sits in there. Pull it out with a long nose pliers and pop in the new filter. Replace the pcv grommet and valve while you are in there and you're good to go.

Literature says this filter plugs up and causes high crankcase pressures and poor ventilation so its cheap insurance to replace it.

Good luck

Reply to
Bob La Rocca

Does your PCV valve connect into the manifold or the valve cover?

The valve/grommet on the truck is in the valve cover. The part that screws into the manifold is a fitting with a 90 degree bend in it.... It faces the firewall so I can't actually see into the manifold.

The manifold also covers most of the valve cover so I can't actually see into the valve cover. I can feel a baffle inside the valve cover but there's no screen.

Reply to
swimdad16

"swimdad16" wrote

Maybe the trucks are different. You're still talking about a 93 F150, right? On many other 5.0s, the PCV valve is in the rear center of the manifold, a total pain to get to unless you lay on top of the engine. The "screen" is a little metal-mesh filled can that drops in the hole just under the PCV valve. It looks like:

it goes in here:
the mechanics bitched so much about the PCV that Ford movedit back to the valve cover, where it used to be for decades.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Yep it's a 93 F-150... but the PCV is in the right valve cover and there a tapped fitting into the intake... doesn't look anything like the pics you posted.

Is your Mustang Fuel Injected? The truck is... maybe that's the difference.

"MasterBlaster"

Reply to
swimdad16

If you have an original unmolested '93 F150 w/5.0L, the PCV is at the rear of the engine. If someone has changed the valve cover and rerouted the PCV, you usually do not have a screen - it would have a baffle inside the cover. It sounds like someone may have replaced the cover or maybe the entire engine.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut