PhotoRADAR lens?

I just read in out local newspaper that a 'pilot' PhotoRADAR and Red Light camera program starts tomorrow in my area.

Does anyone has experience, or has heard about the effectiveness of this item:

It looks as if it could work.

Please do not hijack this thread into a moral question about trying to break the law. PhotoRADAR is for revenue generation only-not the reduction of speeders.

In the Cincinnati area, they found that one PhotoRADAR unit generated $700/hour with the limit set to 6MPH over the 35MPH limit.

The Indiana State Police found that having a police car parked on the side of the road, without RADAR, or lights, reduced speeding 99% on I65. Their 'ghost cop' program was a success, but did not generate revenue, and they abandoned the program way back in 1982.

Several articles have shown statistics that Red Light cameras increase rear end collisions over the amount of any accidents made from red light runners.

I also used to work in the vehicular speed detection industry, and know the reasons why police municipalities buy RADAR guns.

So, please spare me the lecture on why photoRADAR is a good thing.

The Arizona legislature voted today against making these license plate lens illegal. That is a plus for me to buy one and try it.

Any comments, advice, or suggestions on these lenses is appreciated.

Bill

Reply to
billccm

I say, dont waste your money. The IR cameras I have seen can take your picture right through the windshield and you dont have a chance. Such a device would be illegal in the venue I know, and to be caught with it would be tantamount to a healthy fine.

There is a much more certain way to avoid tickets. Match the number on your speedometer to the number on the signs you have been driving past, and you wont have a problem.

Reply to
<HLS

item:

I figure you're going to have to buy it and try it.

It looks like if the camera is placed close enough to the road, and aimed 'far' enough, you won't have sufficient angle between the plate and the lens for the blocking to occurr. Also, they take photos from above the plate, and beside the plate, but how about at a diagonal?

Their marketing shots are also taken very close to the plate- how about asking them for a range of angles for which the cover blocks?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I do not run red lights, and have not had a speeding ticket since 1989. I do not want to be above the law.

However, I do flow with the traffic, and that means driving 42MPH in a

35MPH zone, and if on that particular day the city decides it needs some revenue, and sets up a photoRADAR to catch all of us 7MPH over the limit, I want to avoid being part of that tax.

Thanks for the replies, Bill

item:

billccm

Then DON'T SPEED.

How many stupid people out there drive over the speed limit. The reason that they are so stupidly low is because everyone ignores them in the first place.

If you don't like the speed limit, then petition to have the limits raised.

So many dumbass drivers out there.

Reply to
Noozer

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Gee, good advice, Loozer.

Some places the limit is reasonable, other places its set low for revenue.

Its like red-light cameras- lockheed-martin leases the camera to the town, gets a portion of the fines, and LM gets to set the yellow-light time!

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp