Pinging Noise Problem (develops into a crackling noise occasionally) [Sorry, longish]

Greetings,

My 2003 Honda Pilot (3.5L V6 V-TEC, about 25,000miles now, have changed oil @3,000mile religiously and currently using Mobil1) makes this faint, but still noticeable pinging sound whenever the car's under moderately to hard load between 2K-3.5K RPM. I think above the

3.5K RPM, the engine roar drowns out the pinging noise.

Also, the pinging noise will develop into a louder crackling noise every so often at around the 3K RPM mark, especially when I keep the gas pedal down while the pinging noise is being produced. The noise is the same even though I've tried premium gas with higher octane and have tried different brands of gas.

I noticed this noise right from the start when I bought the car and have taken it to a couple of different dealers and had the technician go for a ride with me. But, even as I'm reproducing the pinging noise for them right there and then, they all said they heard nothing unusual.

But I know the sound is there. I drive this car just about everyday. Perhaps the technicians expected a loud pinging/knocking sound normally associated with older cars with serious carbon buildup problems when I said "pinging" sound.

I tried to write it off as a quirk in this particular Honda engine, but the noise substantially reduced after I had my timing belt auto-tensioner replaced as per a TSB issued by Honda. Supposedly, the dampening fluid in this part can leak and make an unusual sound.

I was finally relieved, thinking that this was the culprit of the noise I've been suffering from. I spoke with the technician who performed the timing belt auto-tensioner replacement, but strangely enough, he said that he found no fluid had leaked and there was nothing wrong with it.

But, I'm thinking that the pinging noise I was experiencing was due to the faulty functioning of the replaced part because the pinging noise has alleviated since the replacement. But since I'm still experiencing it, even if in reduced level, (both the pinging noise and the occassional crackling noise), I'm led to believe that there's still some abnormality in the timing belt related components.

What would you guys try to do or say to the service advisor to convince him to have a technician take a closer look at that area which might be attributable to my pinging/crackling problem? I know the waterpump was inspected when the TSB was being performed and supposedly was fine.

I just wish to hear the muffled roar of the engine when I punch the gas. I still thik that this is very nice engine, but the experience of driving it has always been tarnished because of this pinging/crackling noise. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Reply to
Steve Lee

Could be you are hearing the noise the bearings in the belt tensioner make.

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

[snip]

Zaphod, thanks for your quick reply. And if this is the case, is this something I should be concerned about because it still is considered an abnormal funtioning or is this something I should just accpet and live with as just an annoyance? Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Lee

Just to clarify things. I used to have a pinging issue with my car ('90 Corolla) which is now resolved. I made a recording of it when it was giving me problems. Compare:

Or, if you want MP3 (smaller):

Does it sound like that?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

I'd be curious to know more about your pinging Corolla issue and its resolution.

I'm currently facing trying to troubleshoot a 95 Corolla which seems to ping and stutter (shake) on acceleration, I think it's alternating between rich and lean mixture (dark deposits by tailpipe)

Thanks!

Reply to
Benevolent, The

Yes, I read this thread in the Toyota NG.

Just as an FYI, the fuel mixture WILL be alternating between rich/lean as that's how a stoichiometic (a nice 14.7:1 mixture) is obtained.

As for my pinging. I chased it for many months. I checked all the usual suspects with no luck. Finally, I yanked the intake manifold and noticed the EGR passage was just pure gunk. I spent a couple hours with a dremel and lots of carb cleaner and got it opened up and clean again. Since then, I haven't had any pinging whatsoever and I can even advance my timing a degree or so over the stock 10° BTDC.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

How uncanny! Yes, it does sound very much like that. How did you get rid of the sound? What was wrong with it in the first place? This noise is driving me nuts.

Oh, nevermind, I read your reply to Benevolent. What's also uncanny is that there have been a few Pilots with imporperly functioning EGR valves that were fixed by the dealer.

But because I've had this noise right from the beginning, I never figured it can be it. I guess I'll have to see if I can have a look at the valves and the ports. Thanks, Tim! You were a big help.

Reply to
Steve Lee