Piston Ring Blow-by

I am looking at buying a 96 Toyota Corolla with 107k miles on it. It test drove it and it drives fine. I unscrewed the oil filler cap and noticed a lot of air coming out and little droplets of oil shooting out. Is this normal or is there excessive wear in the piston rings causing blowby? What other things should I check on this car?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
paul

Paul, That's not many of miles to have on it with that kind of blow-by, unless it was not taken care of. If the oil was not changed, then most likely other maint. was neglected as well. A compression test would tell more. What a- bout blue smoke out the tail pipe when you accelerate.

chuck

paul wrote:

Reply to
chuck smoko

"paul" wrote

That's totally normal on many engines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

That's not a good test, lots of engines will have oil just splatter out when running. You could remove the PCV valve and see if excessive blue smoke is coming out through there. Another check would be to see if there is alot of oily build up in the intake hose after the PCV's hose attaches or just pull the spark plugs and look for oil fouling. Of course the real test remains a compression test.

Reply to
Brent P

Does this mean that there is piston ring blow by?

Reply to
paul

"paul" wrote

No, it means what I said, it's normal on many engines to do what you are seeing. I've seen it most often on 4 cylinder OHC engines with the oil filler cap sitting right in the rocker cover. You take that cap off and you will have oil blowing all over the place in a second if it's running. Nothing to worry about.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

the oil filler cap on the valve cover of my Festiva has a built in baffle to keep oil from spraying out. however the PCV valve is mounted on the valve cover and if I take off the oil filler cap when the engine is running there is a slight vacuum under the valve cover to draw off gasses into the intake manifold for combustion. I may be wrong but the oil coming out of the filler cap hole is probably being thrown out by the action of the valves rather than from any piston blow by.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Reply to