plastic screws and tool for them?

Does anyone know if there is a special tool to pop those 'inset' plastic 'screws' that are used to anchor lightweight objects to the under-hood area (e.g. windshield wiper reservoir, radiator reservoir)? They are actually in two pieces: the 'screw' or 'insert' that drives into the 'collar'. I wind up really tearing them up by pulling on them with pliers, usually, and I would love to know if there is a better way.

Thanks Louis

Reply to
ll

If the center part has a phillips head inset, use a phillips to turn it while using a flathead to gently pry the center part up. If there isn't a phillips inset, use a flathead to pop the center part out.

Reply to
qslim

"qslim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

You're pretty optimistic, aren't you? You're assuming the previous monkeys didn't already strip the head, and that the head isn't already filled with sand and will thus readily receive a screwdriver tip.

How much snow do you get in Missouri?

What I find works best is TWO tools: one skinny flat-blade screwdriver, and one "dentist's pick". These two in judicious combination do quite effectively what one alone cannot, even with those stupid Phillips-head plastic fasteners.

I see that Honda has in recent years modified their two-piece plastic fasteners to make removal far, far easier than it was in years past.

Reply to
Tegger

I don't get any snow in Missouri, because the drive there is too far from my house in Florida. And, yes, I am optimistic. My powers of positive thinking alone gets the plastic clips out if a screwdriver won't work. That and my big ass prybar. Watch out for flying pieces.

Reply to
qslim

If those are the 'push plugs' that hold fenders and plastic parts on, then they are disposable. The local auto parts stores carry the 'Help' line of parts with replacements for these cheap.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain